Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Turkey in early October with a baby?

(19 Posts)
SpeedyGonzalez Wed 10-Feb-10 17:49:27

DC2 will be around 5/6 months when we plan to go to Turkey. Temp will vary between 27 - 32 C.

On the one hand I think 'bloody hell, it will be too frigging hot for a baby!'. On the other hand I think 'babies live in hot countries every day'. And actually, 32 C isn't blazingly hot, is it? Also it's not as humid there as parts of the UK in the summer, apparently. So I'm trying to decide what to do.

Anyone been there at that time of year with a baby? If so how did you find it, in terms of looking after your baby in the heat?

Nefret Wed 10-Feb-10 21:02:47

I lived in Turkey when my daughter was a baby. I took her out at 8 weeks old and we were there till she was 18 months. She had no problems with the heat even in the height of summer so don't worry. As you say babies live in hot countries and it wont be that hot in october anyway.

Just make sure you take sun cream, a hat and a UV swim suit for your little one and keep out of the sun during the hottest part of the day and you will be fine.

Where are you going to? If you need to know anything else about taking babies to Turkey just ask x

SpeedyGonzalez Wed 10-Feb-10 21:11:20

Ahh, you're a star! Thanks for that reassurance; also good tip about UV swim suit, I'd never have thought of that. Actually I do need to know about travelling around - we'll be somewhere around Bodrum, and would love to go on the odd day trip to historical places such as to Ephesus, but will be reliant on taxis/ coaches. We won't be carrying a baby car seat with us - DH has mentioned that driving in Turkey doesn't have a great safety reputation, so I'm now wondering what we do about securing DC2 into the car seat. Any thoughts?

Nefret Wed 10-Feb-10 21:48:35

I actually lived near Bodrum! It is lovely there, lots to see. If you want to go to Ephesus the best way is to go on an organised tour, you can book them with any of the agencies in Bodrum or the other resorts.

I never drove in Turkey because they do drive a bit crazy there! I used taxis a lot and I would strap my own baby seat in. As you wont be taking one the best thing to do is make sure you only go in one of the more modern taxis or one that has seat belts and carry baby on your lap over your seat belt. If you have an older child they can be strapped in the centre seat of the bigger cars wih an over the lap belt. This is how we did it when we went back with our 2 daughters and the youngest was a baby.

For shorter trips around the Bodrum peninsula you can get on the dolmus, they are minibuses that go all over the place and you can take your pushchair on with you. They are very reliable and cheap and you can go all over on them.

SpeedyGonzalez Thu 11-Feb-10 22:36:01

Great advice, Nefret, thanks!

moondog Thu 11-Feb-10 22:37:36

I lived in Turkey too with little kids.Was fine, as you say, people have babies everywhere.
smile

JuliaL Thu 11-Feb-10 22:37:55

Just a bit more reassurance! I took my second son to Turkey in October when he was 5 months old, had no problems with the heat. I travelled for short hops by taxi/dolmus with ds in a sling and for longer journeys with his own car seat from home (all airlines seem to carry this for free - many will take all sorts of baby items through.. do ask!) With such a young baby the organised tours will be best and they will be unlikely to be full, so you should have room to stretch out. Do bear in mind 'though that Ephesus is a good 2-3 hours journey from the Bodrum area. Another option is the long distance bus and an overnight stop - not at all expensive! Day trips are easy if you are b/feeding. Otherwise take a picnic rucksack thermos. Have a lovely time!

KiwiKat Thu 11-Feb-10 22:47:14

We were in Turkey end of October, first week of November with ds, then 2.4, and it was lovely. Also nice in April. Can't say enough nice things about Turkey - Ichmeler (not far from Bodrum), Fethiye and Side. All good.

Nefret Fri 12-Feb-10 09:54:13

Icmeler is a long way from Bodrum, about 3 hours by bus.

SpeedyGonzalez Fri 12-Feb-10 22:45:44

Great advice, all, thanks so much. Julia - yes, was thinking of using my Beko sling on taxi/ bus rides, actually, so glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this a good idea.

Also thanks for telling me about the distance to Ephesus; I'd really like to go there and we'll have our almost 4-year-old with us. Will look into overnight stays, as we just need to be practical - holidaying with kids is a world away from pre-kids, isn't it! Will be bfing, and hopefully won't have to worry about weaning for another few weeks so I should have all the baby's food on tap!

I've ALWAYS wanted to go to Turkey; I adore the food and the people, and am so excited about going. Thanks so much for your advice, everyone!

Nefret Sat 13-Feb-10 11:55:16

If you are bfeeding you will have no problems feeding anywhere. I used to feed my baby on the ebach, in restaurants, eveywhere realy and no-one ever gave a second glance.

I used to put my dd in a sling too when she was tiny, I forgot about that!

Have a great trip x

KiwiKat Sun 14-Feb-10 17:49:40

by bus to Ichmeler, perhaps a long way, but as the crow flies, Bodrum is not so far, so the temperature would be similar. Which is what I thought the question was.

SpeedyGonzalez Tue 16-Feb-10 22:44:52

Great advice, Nefret - I've been wondering how people will respond to me breastfeeding in public. I don't expose my whole breast, I tend to cover it up with a cloth, but even then some people still object. So glad to know Turkey's not that way inclined.

Balletlover Wed 17-Feb-10 10:37:42

Just to add my b/f story. I was sitting on the beach under a tree b/fing discretely when I could see some elder turkish men talking and pointing at me. One of them came over and spoke to me in turkish and then went away. I thought I'd offended but he came back with cushions and blankets for me! Never been treated so well.. real shock to return to the UK.
Will look up the website I've sent friends of mine with families to when overnighting at Epheseus. They have ground floor family rooms. Might be a couple of days, but I'll post again.

(was JuliaL.. fancied a change in nickname!)

SpeedyGonzalez Wed 17-Feb-10 22:33:08

Balletlover, that's such a great story! How lovely!

Thanks so much re website, I'll definitely take a look at that as I really want to go to Ephesus and think the overnight thing is the only way to do it, realistically.

waitingforgodot Sat 20-Feb-10 17:07:16

I took DS to Turkey-near Bodrum when he was about 8 months old. We went at the start of October and it wasn't too hot. I put a hat on him with a flap thing to cover back of his neck and he was fine. Have a lovely time! Its a great place.

Balletlover Sun 28-Feb-10 09:37:19

Sorry for delay SpeedyGonzalez, but the Hotel in Selcuk I think looks good is the Hotel Nazar www.hotelnazar.com. They will pick you up from the bus station @ Selcuk and like many hotels will drive you to Epheseus. Hope this helps!
Julia

louiseconnor Wed 17-Nov-10 13:22:40

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? My family and I are going to Turkey for two weeks at the end of november. My baby will turn five months old while we're there and I'm concerned about making his bottles as he is formula fed. I have obviously spoken to my health visitor and she said it's ok to use their water, just make up as usual. I wanted to double check with anyone who's been with a young baby, did you use their tap water? and does anyone know what the temperature will be?

Nefret Thu 18-Nov-10 10:47:28

Do not use the tap water for making up the bottles. It has a very high mineral content, which could easily upset your baby's tummy if he isn't used to it.

Buy bottled water, the best to use for babies is Erikli and it should be available in all supermarkets. If you can't find it though don't worry, just use another brand.

Just make your bottles up as using using boiled bottled water and if you want to give you baby water you drink again use bottles water.

I would advise to take your powedered formula with you as you can't get all brands out there and it can be very expensive. You don't need to take nappies though as you can get them easily for about the same price as at home. Pampers are called Prima but Turksih brands are just as good - Evy baby, Canbaby or Molfix.

Which part of Turkey are you going to? I lived in Bodrum and November the weather was usually warm in the day but quite chilly at night so bring something warm for the evenings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now