Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Things to do in Venice with kids?

(26 Posts)
wilbur Thu 01-Oct-09 09:49:28

We going to Venice with in-laws at half term, huge family group. Any suggestions about things to entertain 8, 6 and 4 yr old dcs? We will mostly be walking about and eating ice cream, but if anyone knows of some good places to go, that would be fab. Ds1 is interested in history so he will be happy with most stuff there but I would like to find something aimed at their age group. Thanks!

francagoestohollywood Thu 01-Oct-09 10:10:04

You need Rosa, I will point her to this thread smile.

You can also take them to the Lido and the beach. Catch lots of Vaporettos (you can even venture to Pellestrina, Murano, Burano... )

I think - if you manage to avoid the more touristy bits) that venice is magical with children in tow too... I want to take mine asap!

saadia Thu 01-Oct-09 10:19:00

I would second the boat trips to Murano and Burano.

Rosa Thu 01-Oct-09 10:19:47

You called ..........

I would invest in a book called Kids in Venice - It is really good and gives them things to do / look for . YOu should be able to get it on Amazon but if not you can buy it in the Book shop ' Goldoni' just off Campo San Luca.
Where are you staying ?
I would get 3 day vap passes if you are planning on seeing lots especially as your 4 yr old might get tired legs . I would go to the islands take the vap from Fondamenta Nove to Murano and have a wander maybe see some glass blowing. Then onto Burano and if you can cope Torcello . Burano is fun as all the houses are different colours.
Take the No 1 Vap from Piazzale Roma - San Marco get on first and sit at the back .
If finances don't stretch to a gondola - Take a traghetto over the canal -
Go to Rialto fish markets in the mornings
I could go on and on . CAT me if you want specific info or if I don't see your message I can be found on Little Italy .
ARe you ok at getting from airport to your hotel ?

francagoestohollywood Thu 01-Oct-09 10:31:23

grin. I think I saw the Kids in Venice book too.

I want to go to Venice!!!

wilbur Thu 01-Oct-09 11:56:59

We're staying near the Arsenale and MIL is very kindly springing for a water taxi to the hotel as we are arriving late and there are 9 of us on the same flight.

What is a traghetto?

Fish market would be good - we have a little kitchenette in our room and we will def need to cook some meals. What time do the markets close? Are they early early?

Like the sound of all the different coloured houses on Burano. Have been to Murano and def have that in my plans. Will look out for the book.

I was wondering if any of the galleries / musuems do kids' packs like they do here? Even if they are in Italian, I can hack my way through a bit of translation.

Am really looking forward to it - we went 5 years ago with ds1 (who was nearly 4) and dd (18 mos), and it was fun but quite hard work with a pushchair and dd still having a nap and so on. They were fab though and the Venetians so lovely to them, but I am so looking forward to being able to just head off for the day and explore.

Thank you!

francagoestohollywood Thu 01-Oct-09 12:54:11

Traghetto is ferry boat.

I'm not sure if they have special activities for children (I live in Milan now and I've noticed that some museums here are doing more and more for children than they used to), but I really recommend a visit to the Peggy Guggenheim museum. It is quite compact and also has a lovely enclosed garden with sculptures.
The Guggenheim is also very near the San Barnaba area (if I remember well!) which I fell in love with as it is not as packed with tourists. Lots of lovely squares with gelaterie where your children can have a run around.

Rosa Thu 01-Oct-09 13:26:37

OK - I happen to have a few contacts for a taxi if needed - I would book one in advance as it could be a popular time especially at that time of night you would prefer not to wait.
A traghetto is a large gondola that rows from one side of the canal to another you can stand as not much sitting space it costs 80 cents pp and takes about 3 mins. Can be fun, They canbe found Salute - Valaresso ( and vice versa) , San Toma, Rialto , Rialto mercato , San Marcuola ( mornings only mainly)
9 of you would not fit in a normal gondloa as they take up to 6.
Arsenale you are not far from Via Garibaldi which has lots of shops a couple of supermarkets and a few market stalls. If you walk to the far end on the left literally as a canal starts there is the most wonderful bread shop also does cakes. The Olive rols are to die for ( watch out for stones). Also the chocolate puff pastry things boost you sugar levels for weeks!
Markets are a morning thing until about 12 ish.MOnday it is only veg at Rialto no fish .
NO idea on kids packs but I doubt it to be honest sounds far too sensible ... You are also not far from the Naval nusuem now that is a must with children it is very interesting. Think its only open in the mornings.
Even though your 4 yr old is walking / running and not napping I would think about bringing a buggy just for in-between bridges this place is tiring especially on little legs. I have a 3.8 yr old and I need it sometimes- plus its a good bag holder if needed !
Anything else am here ....

giantkatestacks Thu 01-Oct-09 13:31:27

When we were there in the summer I noticed a great park (swings, slides etc) just at the end of the island past the giardini - Rosa whats that called? It will be nearish your hotel as well.

Rosa Thu 01-Oct-09 13:38:23

Its St Elena just past GIardini The park really doesn't have a name but its fun it just takes me forever to get there so we don't go !!!!

wilbur Tue 20-Oct-09 11:41:08

Hi rosa - are you around? We're off on Friday, can't wait and just wondering if you have any tips for good value places for lunch, anywhere in the city really. We going to have a couple of treat meals (MIL has found a brave restaurant to take all 17 of us for one night) but otherwise are planning to wander and see what's out there. Would be great to have a couple of recommendations to head for. Although subsisting on the chocolate puff pastry things sounds good too... smile

wilbur Tue 20-Oct-09 14:18:37

bump

wilbur Tue 20-Oct-09 19:48:42

Rosa, or anyone? Are you around?

wilbur Wed 21-Oct-09 11:44:11

bumping again, in hopes

MadameDefarge Wed 21-Oct-09 11:58:28

Hi Wilbur, I am so jealous! Venice is one of my favourite places and I can't wait to take ds!

Sadly food in Venice tends to be pricy and rubbish....but there are plenty of pizza/pasta places around .

The Fish market is just beside the Rialto bridge, and its also where the fruit and veg market happens...worth checking. I Not a lot of supermarket type places, but if you spy one, remember it!

I second the Peggy Guggenheim Museum, and its relatively close to Arsenale.

check to see if people can climb up the campanile on St Marks Square, that would be fun....

I spent my 40th in Venice, and hired a small palazzo and had a party and bout 20 family and friends came - god bless easyjet and ryanair for something!

wilbur Wed 21-Oct-09 17:43:05

Wow - love the idea of a palazzo for your 40th, madamedefrage, how cool! We're actually celebrating my PILs 45th wedding anniversary, hence the huge family trip! It's a great city to feel spoilt and special in, I think.

MadameDefarge Wed 21-Oct-09 19:10:03

it was utterly fantastic, and last weekend of carnevale (the only upside to being born in February!)

And it bucketed down the whole time, like a mad,drenched suphuric skyed film set....and masks and hot chocolate and and and...

Yes, you can't help but feel special there....I do hope you enjoy your trip and festivities as much as we did...and get as many great family anecdotes out of it....

Ewe Wed 21-Oct-09 19:20:25

P studied there for a year and his suggestions are...

Bacaro Jazz, a jazz bar next to Rialto bridge, open from 1pm I think.

Cipciap, a take-away pizza place, Calle Mondo Nuovo - amazing pizza!

Cortesconta - Calle Del Pestrin - very difficult to find but a really good fish restaurant, not overpriced.

Taverna San Trovaso - Fondamenta Priuli bit touristy, but you'll get a good meal, very friendly. +390415203703 to book, often necessary, just near Accademia Vaporetta stop.

If you go over to Giudecca there is a lovely pizzeria, he can't remember the name though but says there are three decent ones there so you can't go wrong!

If you can leave the kids go to Harry's Bar for the fame factor - don't eat, just drink. Bellini's are about £6/7 but Prosecco is quite reasonable.

MissingMyWheels Wed 21-Oct-09 19:35:53

...this is the student in question (not any more sadly)!

Would also recommend taking the kids to see the Gondoliers' workshop on the Camp San Trovaso (just down from the Taverna). Its the only boat repair shop I've ever seen that looks like it belongs in a fairy tale.

There is also an awesome ice cream place down on the same street. Can't remember the name, but it's just next to the Enoteca (wine shop) Schiavi.

btw - it's Cip Ciap and Corte Sconta - blame my poor dictating skills! Cip Ciap is great for a quick, cheap pizza - you buy it by the 'etto' (100g).

MadameDefarge Wed 21-Oct-09 19:50:22

I'm going to save this thread for when I take ds.

And yes, prosecco, prosecco and more prosecco!

Rosa Wed 21-Oct-09 20:02:27

I'm here.....How can I help .....????

Rosa Wed 21-Oct-09 20:08:13

Opps sorry seen the post below...
Well for all 17 of you you will be pushed.
AVOID San Marco area especailly sitting down !
Off San Luca the Mosca ciecca ( blind fly) . Does great selection of sandwiches, salads, decent loos and reasonable.
The Devils Forrest pub off San Bartolomeo next to Disney. Does salads and simple pasta plats at lunch .
Any Ae Oche Pizzeria they are dotted over the city - reasonable.
Silly price the Brec in Lista di Spagna ( up near the railway station. Self service and good value. Its dampish tonight and it has been pretty cool in the evenings. DD's have needed hats and scarves 1st thing and when the sun goes down.
If all else fails you do have Burger King ( It has a pizza thing in there as well) in Campo San Luca and Mc D off San Marco ...( I hate them but they are reliable as you know what they sell !)

giantwickerstacks Wed 21-Oct-09 20:22:34

wilbur theres a really good local restaurant near that park I was talking about earlier - it was good value and full of italians with plenty of space for the dcs to run about outside in the square, and they werent at all arsey at us being tourists...

Copy and pasted description (though am sure it was called osteria sant elena and pampo is its local name):

DAL PAMPO
Calle Generale Chinotto 24, Sant'Elena, Venice (00 39 041 5208419). Sant'Elena is the leafy residential suburb at the far eastern end of island Venice. Just back from the lagoon-side park stands Dal Pampo, one of the city's cheapest and most down home trattorias, where tourists are a rare sight. Don't expect anything fancy: just a simple tasty pasta course such as spaghetti alla busara (with tomato and scampi) followed by a mixed seafood grill or fry-up. Be sure to book one of the outside tables, and come early by Italian standards: dinner is served 7.30-9pm.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rosa Wed 21-Oct-09 20:45:36

DOn't feed the pigeons in San Marco ...You will get fined ( new law) Mind you they can spot a bread roll at 100m !!!
What area was the book shop sounds lovely . There is one in Campo di Miracoli but I don't think it goes onto a canal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now