Talk

Advanced search

Eurotunnel, do you let your young DCs get out of the vehicle?

(21 Posts)
Othersideofthechannel Mon 28-Sep-09 17:18:54

and play around the cars?

PestoLovelyMonster Mon 28-Sep-09 17:20:32

no

hf128219 Mon 28-Sep-09 17:20:50

I don't see anything wrong with going for a walk with them.

MaryBS Mon 28-Sep-09 17:20:51

Yes, I allow them out of the car, but not to play between the cars, usually to go for walks between carriages

PortAndLemon Mon 28-Sep-09 17:20:57

Yes, if they are awake -- or up to a point, anyway. We let them out and stretch legs but don't do too much "playing" around the cars.

Othersideofthechannel Mon 28-Sep-09 17:32:04

Obviously not between the cars, it is forbidden by Eurotunnel for saftey reasons.

Why not pestomonster?

Othersideofthechannel Mon 28-Sep-09 17:34:53

DCs like to sit on the yellow rail and bumshuffle along.

They also like to run up and down the 'pavement' if the other cars haven't got their doors open. It started when they were toddlers but last time we travelled, DS got some 'looks'.
I'm wondering if he isn't a bit big and fast for that now.

PestoLovelyMonster Mon 28-Sep-09 19:20:37

because I don't think it's an appropriate place to play

Hulababy Mon 28-Sep-09 19:22:35

DD (7) does get out and will stand by the side of the car, or go to the toilet. But only ever when supervised by an adult, who would also be stood outside of the car.

I'd never let her run about in there or go between cars. Not a safe place to play IMO.

Othersideofthechannel Mon 28-Sep-09 20:11:41

I'm always out of the car and hover near them when they are bumshuffling in case the train jerks.

What do you do with your DCs? Mine are always desperate to get out of car seats and move!

Othersideofthechannel Mon 28-Sep-09 20:15:54

I never even considered forcing them to stay in the vehicle before our last trip. All the other children we come across are outside their cars. I have come across other bumshufflers.
But on our most recent trip, there were similar aged children in a car and DS was asking them if they could come out and they weren't allowed to.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 28-Sep-09 20:19:16

Ours tend to get out of the car (with us) and stretch their legs, go for a walk to the toilet but not "play" around/between the cars.

Hassled Mon 28-Sep-09 20:19:48

yes, definately. We have the obligatory walk to the skanky loos.

wonderingwondering Mon 28-Sep-09 20:20:06

Mine are pre-school age, and we use the tunnel quite a lot, so I let them out to stretch their legs but keep a hand on them in case the train lurches: I don't want them falling over and banging themselves, or falling against the car which is usually pretty filthy after the motorway/autoroute journey.

Definitely not between cars, ever.

Playing on the walkway is one thing, but do people really let their children go between the cars? Surely not.

jumpjockey Mon 28-Sep-09 20:22:25

We took dd out of her seat for a bit of a crawl about (10 months) because otherwise she would have yelled, but got utterly grubby and horrid. So a toss-up between screamy child and one who needed a bit of cleaning up...

Othersideofthechannel Mon 28-Sep-09 21:34:03

Wondering, I don't think anyone lets their DCs go between the cars. It is specifically forbidden and very dangerous.

But until we met these children who weren't allowed to get out, it didn't cross my mind that people would think playing on the walkway/pavement was inappropriate. I just assume they will get filthy on that bit of the journey and dress them accordingly.

MaryBS Tue 29-Sep-09 16:21:20

Yes people DO let their children go between the cars. Have seen it on a regular basis. Also once, going after balls dropped under cars! Yes its dangerous, yes its supposed to be forbidden, but I've yet to see anyone told off for it!

Othersideofthechannel Tue 29-Sep-09 16:41:34

shock

corblimeymadam Tue 29-Sep-09 16:54:37

Message withdrawn

stuffitllllama Tue 29-Sep-09 17:00:25

yes to go to toilet and stretch legs on the "pavement"

one of us is always out of the car with them

cheekysealion Tue 29-Sep-09 17:03:54

we got out of the car and chatted standing at the sides of the cars. went to the loo ate some food.. but didnt pay around the cars

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now