Talk

Advanced search

Taking boiled water in baby bottles on plane?

(13 Posts)
RedHairedGirlie Thu 17-Sep-09 22:21:16

Am flying to Amsterdam in a few weeks with my 6 month old DD and wanted to check if anyone has used the Tommee Tippee powder containers that you can just pop in the bottles with the cooled boiled water - and if its OK to take this on the plane? I read on some website that airlines can be funny about you taking the cooled bolled water like that? I am flying with KLM.

Also about feeding the baby when taking off and landing to help the ears..has anyone done this and does it work??

I guess any useful tips would be appreciated, am flying on my own with her and its the first time... I am very used to flying on my own.. like taking the bus.. but am feeling a little nervous about it with baby..

Also any recommendations for a good stoller with full(ish) recline to purchase for air travel.. have had a look online but there are just so many!!

gosh.. i could go on and on!! :-0

Cheers

TeamEdward Thu 17-Sep-09 22:25:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GlastonburyGoddess Thu 17-Sep-09 22:28:13

Tbh I wouldnt bother with biled water and powder, I would think that its very likely it wont be allowed, why not take cartons of formula instead.
A unbrella fold buggy would be best for flying, a maclaren is lightweight and folds one handed. feeding during take off and landing does work and will help stop the ears popping. hth smile

GlastonburyGoddess Thu 17-Sep-09 22:29:16

sorry spelling terrible tonight *boiled *umbrella lol

nancy75 Thu 17-Sep-09 22:30:00

buy cartons of formula airside, they make you open them and taste them if you take them through security

RedHairedGirlie Thu 17-Sep-09 23:17:05

Thanks for the replies / info.. my flight is quite early in the morning.. 6am, so need to check if the boots shop will be open to buy the cartons..its Glasgow so only a tiny boots shop there. I might just mix one bottle up to take throught security .... do they really make you open the cartons to taste... what a waste as it would just have to be poored away if not used pretty quickly??

Will go investigate the umbrella buggy's too

thanks again.

mumoverseas Fri 18-Sep-09 11:48:25

i've flown regularly with DCs 3 and 4, most recently last week with DS2 aged 7 months. I have a container for the formula which you measure out in advance which I got from mothercare which holds enough for three feeds. I take a bottle of cool boiled water and mix up when needed and sometimes take one of ready made milk too. Often they make you taste it but last week they were not even interested in looking at it or the baby food I'd got out ready to taste.
Other times, they have taken the ready made containers of formula from us which was a pain. I wouldn't bother therefore taking them and would just take the separate powder container and water which they may make you taste. You can then buy some cartons if Boots is open airside but possibly not at that time of the morning.

Definitely try to feed baby on take and and especially landing as it helps them to equalise the pressure in their ears.

Lightweight buggy will be a godsend too. Good luck

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 11:57:51

if it is 200 mls or more you will have to throw away and if your bottle is bigger than 200mls but with 100mls of water then they will ask you to throw the bottle away as two liquids can be mixed together in a bigger bottle.IYGWIM

Buda Fri 18-Sep-09 12:02:10

You can use bottled water. Just take the powder and buy bottled water at the airport. Evian is the one that you can use for babies.

alypaly Fri 18-Sep-09 12:08:32

can you ask the air hostess to give you some boiling water and then let it cool down.

BikeRunSki Fri 18-Sep-09 12:12:06

Leeds Bradford would not allow us to take boiled water in bottles through. I'd previously emailed their head of security who said I could, and had a copy of the email with me, but when it came to it, no. They were also unhappy with Ella's kitchen food.

The security folk said that the cafe would give us some boiling water. They did, but it was still far too hot to use when DS wanted it.

The miniscule Superdrug at LeedsBradford airport does not sell cartons of mixed up formula.

We used Evian in the end. Other brads are too salty for babies, but Evian is freely avaiable.

No problems at all with bottles of water on return journey from Nice.

Amazing isn't it - 5 years ago they would have freaked about you taking white powder on a plane! but now it is the water you want to mix it in.

I did notice that Mothercare are now selling 100ml bottles of SMA Gold, which could resolve this situation, although you might have to take a few. And they might be glass bottles, which might not go down well.

mumoverseas Fri 18-Sep-09 12:34:11

baby food/liquid is supposed to be exempt from the limit on the size (ie 100mls or 200mls) but they still make you taste it. Problem is, most of the numpties on security don't actually know the rules

girlsyearapart Fri 18-Sep-09 12:46:36

Hi we flew Gatwick-Majorca 10 days ago. Took boiled water inbottles was fine didn't make us tip away or taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now