Talk

Advanced search

Brits who have been to the vendee...

(54 Posts)
dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 17:43:28

How long did it take you drive from St Malo (or wherever) to teh Vendee (around St Jean de Monts I asm thinking) and was it a hellish journey or not?

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:08:04

I thought half of mn had been to the vendee?

LIZS Thu 17-Sep-09 18:13:10

We went via Calais and it took just over 7 hours driving. Would n't do that again tbh.

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:16:32

oh really? Not a good trip?

Hmm. I am wondering whether to spend a lot of money and fly and hire a car or save the money and take our own.

Hmm. Although Calais is much much further away than St Malo.

ANyone driven from St Mao?

LIZS Thu 17-Sep-09 18:21:08

The slog back was just a bit too much, also the crossing was very rough. We went via DLP so not so much in one go to get there. The crossing and Vendee part was "free" (courtesy of MN wink) but it was end of season so much started to close and the weather became pretty windy . Nice area and palce to stay though. If we went there again I'd go earlier in the summer and do a longer crossing/shorter drive as you suggest.

LIZS Thu 17-Sep-09 18:21:52

or fly/drive from Nantes

MissisBoot Thu 17-Sep-09 18:23:15

We went via calais and took about 6 - 7 hours.

Journey not a problem as dd is fine on long journeys - both me and dh shared the driving.

Have done the journey both through the night and day time and both easily do-able.

You could always stop over en route. How far away are your from your nearest airport and ferry? St Jean is about 90 mins drive from Nantes airport.

We are in East Anglia and the whole journey took 10 hours door to door. Pretty good I thought and no hanging around at the ferry etc.

MamiBabi Thu 17-Sep-09 18:24:27

We go from Cherbour to Longeville sur Mer and it takes us about 5 hours with a half hour break and a toddler - next year we will be doing the journey with a toddler and a 9 month old. We go late June and the journey is fine, crossing from Portsmouth.

MrsBadger Thu 17-Sep-09 18:25:22

we went Porstmouth - Cherbourg, drive is about 4h, v manageable

if you live W of London I urge you to do the same

NoahDear Thu 17-Sep-09 18:25:23

drivign in france is fine not on the first and last weekend in august.

we ferry to Caen and it takes us 7 hours9 if no breaks_) to get south of bordeaux

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:26:18

Yes, I am particularly apprehensive of the drive home.

We have to drive to portsmouth from scotland (which is tedious), overnight ferry and then I wondered how long from St Malo to Vendee.

On teh way back I don't know ho w it will work as we can only get a ferry that takes all day from St Malo to portsmouth

Ivykaty44 Thu 17-Sep-09 18:27:20

It is a good night crossing to st malo and then a really easy peasy drive to St Jean de Mont. No peage and easy roads.

The only slight hitch would be directing through Nance - possibly but certianly not a difficult ride.

It is 300 miles from St Malo to calais and thats not a bad drive.

Also no lorries ever on a sunday (apart from freexer types) so motor ways clear to calais.

I would sail to st malo and drive you will be there for mid morning coffee wink

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:27:51

Hmm. If 4 hours from cherbourg, then probably only 3hrs from st malo. Or we ferry to cherbourg.

MrsBadger Thu 17-Sep-09 18:28:03

oh god scotland

I would fly

(NB Noah our MN-sanctioned La Garangeoire trip was so good we are going to Bel La Tranche next year and taking mates)

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:28:31

peage?

LIZS Thu 17-Sep-09 18:29:23

peage = toll roads

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:29:24

yes, mrsB, flying is tempting but part of me would rather blow the money on food and fun than flights.

MrsBadger Thu 17-Sep-09 18:29:35

toll road

(you pronounce it pay-arge... because you have to pay)

NoahDear Thu 17-Sep-09 18:29:36

did oyu like le garangeoire?
we didnt.
yes with peage

Ivykaty44 Thu 17-Sep-09 18:29:38

Get a night crossing on the way and then coming home get a ferry from cherborgh (?)sp

it just 100 miles from St Malo to Cherborgh so not much further and get a morning ferry on the way home.

By the way St Malo is really a lovely place to sat overnight if you need to.

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:29:52

You are all so knowledgable

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:30:51

yes, we went to st malo the last time (and first) we were in france.

It reminded me of Aberdeen, though, so not my favourite place wink

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:31:06

And it was as cold and windy as Aberdden

MrsBadger Thu 17-Sep-09 18:31:12

i see your point

how old/many kids?

but when you add up cost of portable dvd player for car, snacks at services, fuel, ferry crossing, hotel in portsmouth etc which is actually cheaper?

dogonpoints Thu 17-Sep-09 18:31:29

Different ferry journeys - I hadn't thought of that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now