Talk

Advanced search

Lisbon in October half term - Any recommendations for hotels/restaurants/ guidebooks?

(5 Posts)
nigelslaterfan Wed 09-Sep-09 13:33:24

I'd love to stay somewhere not too expensive but with a lot of character maybe? Going with dh for a couple of nights. Does anyone know if the Time Out Guide (2007) is any good?

nigelslaterfan Wed 09-Sep-09 17:40:35

bump

TotalChaos Wed 09-Sep-09 17:44:23

I found the Insight Guide to Lisbon the best of the guidebooks. I stayed somewhere cheap, cheerful and outside the City, so don't think it would be any use. DH is a veggie, so we mostly ate out at veggie places or Indian restaurants so again can't be any help!! The Parc de Nacoes area has lots of places to eat out (it's a few tube stops out of the centre, has the Oceanarium Aquarium and a big shopping centre up there too).

PrettyCandles Wed 09-Sep-09 17:45:23

Just remember 'pudim de natash' - that's food of the gods ie the best custard you have ever tasted in your life. The Portugese really know how to make good custard!

Sorry, can't really answer your question though grin.

Oh, and try bacalyao (can't remember how it's spelled, but that's pretty much how it's pronounced). It's basically salt cod, and the Portugese reputedly have 365 ways of preparing it, so try it several different ways - you'll be surprised how good it can be.

I luuuuuurve Portugese food.

Have a marvellous time.

TotalChaos Wed 09-Sep-09 17:46:24

btw we went two years ago, when the pound was stronger, but we were very pleasantly surprised by how cheap coffee/cake/ice-cream etc was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now