Talk

Advanced search

Tuscany next Summer, villa recommendations please

(11 Posts)
JeMeSouviens Sun 06-Sep-09 16:05:29

We were discussing with friends last night and will try to organise a joint holiday to Tuscany.

We would like to be within driving distance of Florence. We would like 1 week in a villa, and then 1 week visiting Florence and other places of interest nearby.

What else can you recommend in that vicinity to visit?

Can anyone recommend a villa to sleep 4 adults, 1 (possibly 3 by that time) children/infants, with a pool would be nice.

Also what is the best time of year. We can avoid the school hols, but is earlier in June, or later in September the better time? We'd still like it to be warm and have a interest in vineyards.

selby Wed 09-Sep-09 00:36:25

We stayed here 2 years ago in Sept and we loved it. We stayed in the apartment Sodi - just DH & I plus our 2 children. Flew to Pisa and it's half an hour's drive away. Easy day trips to Florence, Lucca, San Gimig, Siena, Volterra, etc... Definitely still very hot in Sept - would definitely recommend. Sodi had the most fabulous view from the kitchen window of the rolling Tuscan landscape.

alypaly Sun 20-Sep-09 18:11:25

have a look at Magic of Italy brochure.
Any near Montepulciano are beautful rustic farm house type of villas

JeMeSouviens Tue 22-Sep-09 15:29:51

Lovely, thankyou!

JeMeSouviens Tue 22-Sep-09 15:38:30

Selby staying at the Sodi place, do you thinkg that 2 weeks in the one place would be too long? Our friends thought 1 week at a villa, then 1 week visiting some cities, but I'm of the mind that as all those places are within short driving distances, we might as well stay 2 weeks in the one place.

That way we don't have the hassle of extra accommodation in the cities, and the packing/unpacking, as unbeknownst to them, there will be a 3mth old along for the trip too grin

Rindercella Tue 22-Sep-09 15:44:24

< sigh > I used to live in Tuscany many years ago. Still miss it sometimes.

Unfortunately, I mostly lived above stables, so probably not the beautitful tranquil villa with pool you're looking for grin

I would suggest staying in the Cortona (AR) area. It's very beautiful (mind you most of Tuscany/Umbria is). Travel is easy - by rail from either Terontola or Camucia stations it is an easy trip to Florence/Sienna/Rome/Orvieto, etc I would say that you can do it all from the one base and not have to do 1 week in villa and then 1 week travelling (unless you plan to go to Venice or Calabria or somewhere!)

You'll be near a lake (Trasimeno), which can make things a little more interesting.

Good thing avoiding Italy in August imo - most of the shops will be closed as all Italians will be at the beach! September should be lovely.

Let me know if you find anywhere nice, as I would love to go out in the next year or two,

JeMeSouviens Tue 22-Sep-09 16:04:14

Thanks Rindercella, I shall have a look at that area.

I'm costing it up and am gutted at how much the flights will cost(flying from Canada), and long for the cheap flights from the UK.

selby Tue 22-Sep-09 21:52:28

We only went for a week (from the UK here) but there is plenty to see and do in a fortnight - e.g we didn't have time to visit Viareggio along the coast nearby and I would have liked to visit a few other places too. Our favourite place was definitely San Gimignano.

susie100 Wed 23-Sep-09 13:56:24

I would suggest Tuscany Now - have used them a couple of times and they have all visited the villas so can give you a good idea of what is appropriate for the holiday you want etc etc. We stayed in a gorgeous place, will try and find the link.

Nicholalovesitaly Thu 01-Oct-09 16:24:07

Hi,

This year we stayed at a place near Cortona and Perugia about 20 minutes away. It was great there were 2 families so 4 adults and 2 children. It is really suited to families as there were play areas and a heated swimming pool - a luxury in italy!!! It's not one villa but you can rent 2 seperate self catering apartments so you get some space but also when you want to be together it was good too.
It was close to Lake trasimeno so we spent lots of time at the lake and the beach. We loved it and will be back again next year. It's called Alsagra so if you search Alsagra Italy you should find it.

Mummyinthedark Sun 11-Oct-09 21:54:22

We have stayed in a villa on the estate at La Foce - www.lafoce.com - it was lovely, would recommend and want to return.
also look on www.ciaobambino.com - lots of places that are good for families and many are in Tuscany.
good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now