Talk

Advanced search

Hand Luggage Measurements - Monarch Airlines

(5 Posts)
Eulalia Mon 31-Aug-09 14:14:01

We're flying to Spain in October with Monarch Airlines from Manchester. We're just going to travel with hand baggage and no hold luggage. The website says we can have one piece each, weight 10kgs, measurements not to exceed 56 x 45 x 25cms. But nowhere does it specify what part of the luggage is being measured. I assume it means the length measurement first, ie the longest part of the bag, followed by the width and finally the depth. Trying to buy luggage on Ebay and some people also state 'height' as being a measurement. It's really confusing!

Anyone flown with Monarch recently and can help? Thanks.

serenity Mon 31-Aug-09 14:33:48

Just as long as the overall dimensions don't exceed those measurement, I don't think it matters which bit measures what. They just don't want odd shaped luggage because it's hard to stack in the hold, so they allocate each seat with a space that size. As long as your luggage fits in that space, it'll be fine.

serenity Mon 31-Aug-09 14:39:23

OK, I'm an idiot. It's hand luggage, but principle is still the same. smile I can't remember the airline (either BA or Cyprus) but I've seen hand luggage measured within a framework of those dimensions. As long as it fit within it was OK. If it poked out, they made you stow it. We had to jiggle MILs luggage and change bags because hers was stupidly sized.

Eulalia Tue 01-Sep-09 11:11:03

OK thanks, now need to work out the liquids allowance. Wording is a bit vague on the website. What a hassle!

prettybird Tue 01-Sep-09 11:18:12

Print off the bit from the web site which says that it can weigh 10kg. We had a jobsowrth at Macheter Airport this summer who insisted that each piece of hand luggage weigh only 5kg. Now, dh had his camera (with fancy new - and heavy - lens plus his laptop) which alone came to more than 5kg. We had to really delay the check-in queue while we tried to shuffle thngs between dh, my and ds' hand luggage and reluctantly put things like power packs into the checked-in luggage.

We didn't have problem with our checked in weight - for the 3 of us our total checked-in luggage came to under 40kg - but there are certain things that you don't want to let out of your sight.

Dh ended up putting his camera lens into his pocket! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now