Talk

Advanced search

Can I take the buggy & rear-facing car seat on the plane as luggage?

(11 Posts)
TurtleAnn Thu 20-Aug-09 19:46:02

I know I cant use the car seat in the plane as it is rear-facing. DS is 4-months, I am hoping that BA will supply a safe seat for him.

I know I can take the buggy, folded, up to the plane and then pop it under. My Graco has a car seat that fits in the top to make the buggy baby friendly and DS is still using this adaption. Can I take this too, as it will mean BA staff have to put 2 parts instead of 1 under the plane?

EldonAve Fri 21-Aug-09 13:21:14

Have you bought a seat for your baby?
If not then you will end up with a bassinet/seat thing

I would assume they will let you take both the car seat and the buggy to the gate
Just make sure they are labelled separately by the check in staff

MrsBadger Fri 21-Aug-09 13:44:54

unless you have booked either a seat for him or a bassinet then he will be on your lap - afaik you have to request the bassinets in advance

Kiwinyc Fri 21-Aug-09 14:38:58

yes you can take both at no extra cost, have done it many times. Be sure to get them both tagged at check in and have some other way of carring baby at the other end as you usually get it all back on the luggage carousal. (I take a sling)

nappyaddict Fri 21-Aug-09 14:42:02

Most airlines let you take a buggy free of charge and you can take it right up to the gate. If your car seat fits on the buggy then presumably you can take that right up to the gate too but some airlines charge extra to take car seats.

RoseBlossoms Fri 21-Aug-09 14:50:30

Your DS will be on your lap, not in a seat for the journey. You dont have a seat for an infant. You sound unclear on this in your op.

Yes can take both as other posters have said.
I took my ds at 4 mths to spain with a graco 3 wheeler and a car seat. mine laid flat so was fine to put baby in without carseat. I had to check car seat with other luggage.

Have a nice time!

TurtleAnn Sat 22-Aug-09 10:14:34

Thank you. I realised yesterday (we don't own a car) that I will have to take the car seat attachment too otherwise we won't be able to take a cab from the airport!

We have booked a seat for an infant and paid £19. for it. That doesn't sound like enough to me (British Airways). Do I need to telephone and book a bassinet too?
The advice on the website says get to the airport early and ask at check-in. They also say 'first come first serve' which seems a little callous considering we are talking about young babies!

Thanks for the advice to take the Baby Bjorn. DS loves it and now he is strong enough to face outwards I am sure Dad will spend a good hour in the viewing gallery discussing planes (while Mum goes shopping hopefully).

vinblanc Sat 22-Aug-09 10:18:57

£19 doesn't sound enough. Where are you going?

You have to get a boarding pass for an infant, but this is not the same as a seat. Infant prices are often 10% of adult ones - so £19 could well be that.

Go to ba.com and click on Manage My Booking. You will see everything there and can order a bassinet. It will tell you about your luggage allowance.

Olihan Sat 22-Aug-09 11:03:56

An infant fare is not for a seat, it's just the fee that the airlines charge. Bassinets are very much first come first served as there are only limited seats on the planes that can have a bassinet installed in front of them. It depends on the type of plane you are flying on as to how many bassinet points there are.

Airlines' policies on allocation of the bassinets vary a lot. We flew to Singapore with 13mo ds2 and didn't get a bassinet, even though he fitted the criteria, as Singapore Air prioritise younger babies first and there were loads of babies on the flight. Get there as early as you can and hopefully you'll be lucky and get one.

The only downside of the bassinets is that they aren't put up until after takeoff,taken down as you begin the final descent and if there is any turbulance or the seatbelt light comes on them you have to take them out and strap them on your lap again. On a short flight they may be more hassle than they're worth, tbh.

TurtleAnn Sat 22-Aug-09 17:52:03

Thanks, I hadn't realised this wasn't some sort of safer seat for take off and landing. I don't mind holding him for the flight, given that he will probably scream if I put him in a seat anyway - he requires constant entertainment when awake.

We are flying to Southern Spain for a weekend.

MrsBadger Sat 22-Aug-09 18:58:31

she'll have a safety belt that attached to yours

top tip - get her in position to bf before doing up the belt round her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now