Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pefkos in Rhodes

(34 Posts)
Smurfgirl Wed 12-Aug-09 12:05:59

Has anyone been here? What is the resort like?

Looking at staying at Pefki Islands resort.

Thanks.

dyzzidi Wed 12-Aug-09 22:55:40

We stayed at Lindos view hotel in Lindos the next resort along and it was lovely i would recommend Lindos if you want quiet but beauiful resort. Pefkos was a bit more lively we were there for a wedding and a lot of the people with us stayed in pefkos and they enjoyed it.

Stilla Wed 12-Aug-09 23:47:32

I used to live in Lardos village , which is just along from Pefkos. Its a popular resort and has lots of repeat visitors .Its pretty much a family/couples resort, and you don't really get groups of lads/girls....although with Lindos being so close you get big wedding parties.
Just looked on the Pefki Resort website and the 'general view' pics makes it look a little middle of nowhere- its not, its a short walk from bars/restaurants.
Pefkos is a short taxi ride from Lindos-which can get really busy with day-trippers and coach tours but some nice restaurants/bars/clubs.
Its a fab island - but I would say that as I spent the best part of 5 fantastic years there.grin

Smurfgirl Thu 13-Aug-09 21:57:06

Thanks for the replies.

What is the weather like in Rhodes in late May Stilla?

We (me and DH) would be going with my mum and dad so Pefkos sounds fine for us. A few people have said that Lindos is very busy.

Nice to know that the hotel is in a nice location, it gets amazing reviews on Trip Advisor so I am hoping my mum approves and we can book!

Stilla Thu 13-Aug-09 23:30:36

Late May is still pretty early in the season so there could be the odd overcast/showery day but on the whole it'll be nice but obviously not July/Aug hot .

Lindos is def worth a visit - and much quieter in the eves once the daytrippers have gone.

Smurfgirl Fri 14-Aug-09 15:51:45

Hmmm I was hoping for very warm (24+) and no rain really. It really would be the final week of May/beginning of June if that makes a difference.

Stilla Fri 14-Aug-09 16:36:16

it will be at least mid 20's by then and probably glorious the whole time you'd be there, when I said not july/aug hot -its been around mid 40's the last few weeks and around mid 30's at night (thats from friends who live in the north, the south -Lindos/Pefkos ,is always a bit warmer),but the island had the odd shower well into June this year.

Smurfgirl Fri 14-Aug-09 18:20:08

So its not too risky to go for a sunshine holiday in Rhodes in late May/early June?

I sound obsessed!!

My parents had a bad experience in Majorca last October when it was so cold that they needed jumpers on during the day so they are nervous about that happening again!

Furball Fri 14-Aug-09 18:39:16

stilla I lived nearby! - I left in 1996 after living there for nearly 4 years. Was that around about the time you were there?

Stilla Fri 14-Aug-09 19:04:25

Noooooooooo..........no jumpers needed for daywear grin

furball we spoke before - you were in Gennadi . I didn't arrive till 03 , very much a north girl with a phobia of anything south of Faliraki ......until my time in Lardossmile

Furball Fri 14-Aug-09 19:26:56

sorry stilla blush you're memory is obviously alot better than mine!

maize Sat 15-Aug-09 00:46:54

Thank you for all your help I will let you know if we do book to go to Pefkos. It sounds perfect for us. I figure a cooler day will make exploring other towns nicer, I have certainly struggled on day trips in Greece in August before because the weather has been so warm! As long as I get a couple of days by the pool ;)

thinkingoutofthebox Sat 15-Aug-09 01:09:17

Hey!!

I stayed at pefki island resorts! a few years back. it was lovely, very clean and the local supermarket and restaurants are a stones throw away and the beach is about a 7 minute walk

maize Sat 15-Aug-09 14:53:56

Oooh that sounds great thinkingoutofthebox! Nice to have a personal recommendation.

Do you remember it being very crowded around the pool, I thought with there being two it would be ok?

maize Wed 02-Sep-09 21:54:50

I wanted to update this and say we have booked Pefkos, in a new hotel called Island Blue thats next to Pefki islands, very excited smile

simplesusan Thu 03-Sep-09 23:30:52

We have just returned from Rhodes and it was fab. We stayed just south of Pefkos at Kiotari, Pefkos looked very nice too.

Furball -we spent an hour in Gennadi as we had stayed there many years ago. Was too hot to stay any longer this time around though!

alypaly Sun 20-Sep-09 18:21:27

Hi....been going to rhodes for nearly 30 years on and off(probably about 20 times in last 30 years.

Pefkos has changed alot in the last 5 years.
Personally i think t has been spoilt. It is no longer a quiet little village.
It has got two main streets lnied with restaurants and bars...some really tacky ones.
My friend Janneau who lives in Pefkos and has the glass bottomed boat hates it now as it is too touristy.
My friends who own the large supermarket on the road to pefkos beach dont live in Pefkos anymore because it has become too noisy.
It is no longer the sleepy little greek village that had lots of character...it is becoming a mini mini faliraki.
Mind you it depends what you ase looking for. We want quiet and quaint,not streets of restaurants with the same characterless menu.
May is normally ok but you can get occasional cloudy weather then ,nothing is guaranteed.
What type of hols are you looking for.

Quiet appartments away from the noise are Pefkos beach appts( good sized rooms and some have 2 bedrooms..all with sea view...depends if you want to be near the bars.

shabbapinkfrog Sun 20-Sep-09 18:33:04

We were in Faliraki (for the 10th time!) the last two weeks in July and, at one point, thought we may die in the heat smile.Good friends of ours were out there the last two weeks in May and they said it was glorious every day. Rhodes is a beautiful island....and where we stay is not in the center of Faliraki so is 100% quieter and more family orientated.

Lindos is truly worth a visit its a beautiful place.

alypaly Sun 20-Sep-09 18:42:50

Lindos is beautiful....and so is Rhodes town...its really clean and the back streets have hidden bars which are really lovely.
Lindo beach is busy but the walk up to the acropolis /or the donkey ride is great. Some of the back streets have lovely bars and restaurants. The best beach is Tsambika beach which is half way between rhodes town and lindos

Stilla Sun 20-Sep-09 19:39:28

Love Tsambika beach - Agathi is another one of my favourites.

alypaly Mon 21-Sep-09 09:42:53

Stilla...do you know Janneau and GF...if you lived there i am sure you must have come across them.Thassos and Thannassis who own the supermarket too.

Stilla Mon 21-Sep-09 11:07:32

Can't say I do,I lived in Lardos , and wasn't there that long before scuttling back to my comfort zone in the north- we rarely went to Pefkos........ except to eat dee-lish food and lie by the pool at Oasis when the pool bar in Lardos closed. Spent most (quiet eves) in Lardos or into Lindos for a 'proper' night out .

mejon Mon 21-Sep-09 22:38:29

Glad you posted the info alypaly. My first holiday abroad was to Pefkos around 15 years ago and it was a lovely, quiet little village (and very hot!). Had been thinking of going back next spring/summer for a last pre starting school holiday with DD but I'm not so sure now. I've spent many holidays on Halki which is reached by boat from Rhodes but I'm not sure its suitable for a 3-4 year old.

shabbapinkfrog Mon 21-Sep-09 23:31:08

Stilla - can I be very nosey and ask how come you are living in Rhodes? Think we may have spoken already but Im just a nosey sod grin

alypaly Mon 21-Sep-09 23:33:39

thats a long trip from rhodes to halkidiki isnt it?

Pefkos is not quiet anymore...to be honest it looks like blackpool,( no offence to blackpoolites) neon lights,noisy bars ...far too many of them( all about 1/3 full....i used to love the peacefulness of this area...will not go back again.All the menus were the same. I was actually quite shocked... totally lost its character. I am big greece fan too and have been going to different places for over 30 years.
We stayed at the Iberostar just out of Lindos and i went to see my friend Janneau who i have known for 30 years and i was horrified at the change. Its ruined..but i guess it depends what you want.
What sort of holiday are you looking for for 3-4 yr old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now