Talk

Advanced search

Is insurance necessary for a trip to Ireland if you have the new E111?

(6 Posts)
extremelychocolateymilkroll Tue 11-Aug-09 07:52:02

My 80 year old mother is going to Ireland for a week on Saturday with my sister - last minute booking. She has been treated for breast cancer in the last 2 years and has a very small tumour in her lung but is generally in good health. Of course insurance companies only see what's in black and white and are offering quotes of about £700. Have just applied online for the new E111 form - due to arrive in 7 days so fingers crossed. Just wondered if insurance necessary if you have the E111 if we are lucky enough to get it back in time? TIA

Claire2301 Wed 12-Aug-09 14:09:25

I believe the E111 would cover very basic care. Ireland's health care system is not fabulous (to say the least!) Where abouts in Ireland is she going? I lived there for six months last year and decided that if anything happened I'd try to drive over the border!

I do always buy additional insurance so cannot offer much more than the above unfortunately.

sobloodystupid Wed 12-Aug-09 14:13:29

Hmmm, I always thought that apart from E111, Ireland and the Uk had some mutual understanding, after all, I got perfectly good NHS treatment when I was in London working for the summer. sorry that's not very helpful is it? blush

vinblanc Thu 13-Aug-09 16:16:35

Travel insurance also includes things like cancellation and theft. It is not just medical.

macherie Thu 13-Aug-09 16:37:36

Irish healthcare is very good for emergency treatment - if your ailment means you enter the system via A&E then you get the same treatment whether you have insurance or not. Things are very different if you need non-urgent treatment, which is why most Irish people have private health ins, but that doesn't apply here.

AFAIK, the E111 will give her the same treatment as any Irish person would get, just check that's the case, and if so then she'll be fine.

Hope she has a lovely time and no need for hospitals smile

Claire2301 Thu 13-Aug-09 16:42:08

I thought you got charged if you went to A & E without a docs note?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now