Talk

Advanced search

Samoens...anyone been???

(5 Posts)
newcastlemusicalmini Sat 08-Aug-09 13:26:22

Hi

We are off to Samoens, in the French Alps, in 2 weeks time and wondered if anyone has been before and could offer some things to do, places to visit etc. We have 2 children, aged 3 and 1 and the grandparents are coming too!!! We have a car so can travel...within reasonable distance.
Any advice appreciated
Debbie
x

headless Sat 08-Aug-09 15:09:20

Oooo yes, me! Well not quite Samoens, Morillon, the next village down the valley. Its an excellent place for kids, adventure playgrounds, outdoor pool, swimming lake at Morillon, lovely cycle track along the river, beautiful walk at cascade de rogeres and pony rides at the next village along, forget its name but will look it up when got my other hand free (feeding baby). Indoor pool at the town at bottom of valley with great kiddy pool....town begins with a 'C', men need speedo type shorts. Evian and Chamonix are well worth a drive out, getting the narrow guage railway up to the Mer de Glace was excellent, husband enjoyed cycling up Col de Joux Plan (or something like that) and lovely walks up there too. Best holiday we ever had,(been twice now) and is excellent family skiing destination too. We went with Peak Retreats. Sorry for randomness of reply, just thinking aloud really, will update if I think of other things.

newcastlemusicalmini Sun 09-Aug-09 13:33:42

Thanks so much...I didn't think I'd get any replies at all! It looks fantastic and we are soo excited. The chalet we booked is just outside of Samoens, think it's half way between Samoens and Morillon so either sounds good. You've given us some good ideas....and comfort knowing someone else has been and liked it!
Thanks again

JennyPeakRetreats Tue 18-Aug-09 16:49:26

Hello!
Samoens is one of the prettiest and most traditional villages in the French Alps and the area offers many activities for people of all ages.
There are two beautiful swimming lakes which are perfectly safe for children, there is the Base de loisirs du lac aux Dames in Samoens and Lac Bleu in Morillon (a 10 minute drive away). Samoens also has a public open air swimming pool with a separate children’s pool and a 60 meter water slide. Alongside the pool there is also a large lawn, ideal for relaxing in the sun and for the children to play on. Other sporting activities in Samoens include alpine walks, mountain biking, tennis, fishing, rock climbing and much much more. If you fancy something more relaxing you can take a horse drawn carriage tour around the village. You can also go to Sixt-Fer-a-Cheval (just 10mins away) for the children to have a ride on Romeo the friendly donkey!
In the neighboring villages of Morillon and Morillon 1100 some of the cable cars and chair lifts remain open during the summer allowing you access to explore the mountains further.
I agree with the previous post that the attractions of Chamonix are certainly worth a visit, the views from the Aiguille de Midi and Mer de Glace are spectacular. A great experience for the whole family that you will never forget.
The town and Lake of Annecy are just 1 hour away, the lake is stunning and very refreshing on a hot day. The town is also beautiful and very romantic, it is steeped in history. A visit to this area would also be a great day out for everybody.
Also the town mentioned in the previous post I believe to be Cluses.
I hope this was of some help.
Jenny @ Peak Retreats
www.peakretreats.co.uk/summer/samoens.htm

newcastlemusicalmini Wed 19-Aug-09 21:39:56

Thanks for your reply, lots of information we will take note of all the places you have mentioned! Off on Saturday...we can't wait!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now