Talk

Advanced search

sardinia?

(11 Posts)
Greatfun Thu 06-Aug-09 22:30:08

I have started a thread about Italy but think I have narrowed it down to Sardinia. Have any of you been? Where is the best place to stay for a family of 4. Our DCs are still little (1 and 3). We will want self catering.Thanks

bottletopbill Fri 07-Aug-09 13:56:44

my friend has just come back and said it was a gorgeous place - first tiem she'd been but said the downside was it was very, very, very expensive when they go there!

hf128219 Fri 07-Aug-09 21:36:45

Lovely! Don't know about self-catering but Forte Village is very nice.

talkingbook Sat 08-Aug-09 00:28:17

We've been lots of times but stay with friends.

It is ideal for your dc's ages with lovely beaches with shallow clear water.My dcs love it.There is also some interesting ancient (nuraghi) and roman sites to visit.

We haven't found it too expensive once we got there but we eat in and go to restaurants/pizzerias our local friends recommend so this is a factor.Also the euro effect this year is making everywhere expensive.It depends where on the island you go as well -Costa Smerelda is obviously expensive.

We always fly easyjet and there are lots of villas you can book independently through places like owners direct.Accommodation is expensive in Sardinia compared to alot of europe.

I'd definately recommend Sardinia.

Greatfun Sat 08-Aug-09 06:55:13

Lovely. Thanks. Do any of you know where the best location is to stay?

Leslaki Fri 28-Aug-09 23:47:32

Oh - anyone recommend a campsite in Sardinia - static caravan - with pool and direct o beach if poss!!! I'd prefer not to have to hire a car. Thanks....

MissGreatBritain Fri 28-Aug-09 23:56:25

We flew to Alghero (3 times) with Ryanair and stayed on the outskirts of Alghero itself. Loved it, although it became more expensive each time we went! I would suggest that this is a good location becuase it's only about 15 min taxi ride from the airport, is on the coast and the old walled town of Alghero is lovely. We stayed here each time. right opposite the beach, big balcony, air-con and a restaurant that sells a METRE of pizza next door!

minervaitalica Sat 29-Aug-09 14:16:49

The Alghero area is probably the cheapest in North Sardinia - it gets more expensive as you head East from there. Also more likely to be child friendly vs. the trendier areas.

Southern SArdinia is cheaper: Villasimius, Quartu, and the sland of Sant'Antioco can be as pretty as the north, but are cheaper. On the other side, I am not sure to what extent they cater for English speaking tourists as they are more off the beaten track and I have not been there for a long time.

mejon Sat 29-Aug-09 14:17:53

We went to Sardinia in 2005 and our one regret is that we didn't feel confident enough to hire a car. We stayed in Cannigione and whilst OK, we did pass some much nicer places whilst on a couple of day-trips which we were obviously unable to stop at (organised trips). We'd see gorgeous coves and beaches but only whilst whizzing past in a minibus!

itchyandscratchy Sun 30-Aug-09 13:14:31

We've just come back from 2 weeks in Alghero with our dds aged 1 and 3. Had a fab time and am composing a review for travelling there with children which I am going to be posting on tripadvisor.com in the next couple of days.

It'd be a good idea to have a look at that site anyway and read the forums about Alghero.

Sorry don't have an enormous amount of time just now but yes, I'd definitely recommend it, esp if you're going off-peak.

mumtoted Sun 30-Aug-09 13:20:20

I have been to Sardinia and Corsica, both before we had children. We much preferred Corsica. A more beautiful island imo, loads of gently shelving beaches perfect for young children, nicer food (again personal opinion) and definitely cheaper. We understood French but really couldn't understand Italian. I'd love to go back with dc sometime.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now