Talk

Advanced search

Just returned from the most amazing holiday ever (Italy)

(23 Posts)
tiredemma Thu 06-Aug-09 11:09:52

We are typical 'brits' normally (frequenting resorts like Palma Nova, Cala D'or in majorca) etc- other than Florida and Skiing, we are generally very 'predictable' with our holiday choices.

However, my Inlaws moved out to Italy in march- to a beautiful mountain town/village (population 1000).
We went out, worried that we would be bored, how naive of us. Perhaps one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to- did lots of exploring, eat lots of amazing food and just generally had a holiday that I could never have imagined going into aTravel agents to book.

Flew into Nice airport, crossed the border into Italy and stayed around the San Remo area (in a medieval town, like a filmset-really.)

So many beauiful villages/towns/Cities around that coastline- went to Monte Carlo and payed £35 for a few coffees and lemonades. Found lots of romatic places that I would like to marry in!!
Went to a place called Triora (where the last italian witch trials were held!! Very eery and scary)

quite simply a wonderful holiday- not a fry up in sight.

moondog Thu 06-Aug-09 11:12:07

Sounds fab.
Why did your ILs move there?
Are they italian?

ipiratethief Thu 06-Aug-09 11:13:21

It sounds fantastic, and so refreshing for you, to have been given the chance to really see another lifestyle. No, you wouldn't normally look that far into booking an 'expereince', but you had one right on the doorstep!!

fanjolina Thu 06-Aug-09 11:13:35

Sounds great. I LOVE Italy

tiredemma Thu 06-Aug-09 11:14:43

No, not Italian at all. They both decided to up sticks and move abroad, they have friends who moved out there a few years ago and had visited a few times, then decided to go out there themselves.

ZZZenAgain Thu 06-Aug-09 11:14:52

lucky you that your Inlaws have moved to Italy. How thoughtful of them. I love Italy too.

HolyGuacamole Thu 06-Aug-09 11:23:46

envy That sounds amazing! I love Italy! We done a drive from Scotland down to Sorrento and back again and it was the loveliest holiday ever.

It's great having someone living there that you can go and visit smile

Nicholalovesitaly Thu 06-Aug-09 13:58:02

Hi,
We love going to Italy with our two young children. We have been to the same place for 3 years (our children are now 6 and 4) and it is great. There is a review of the place in the travel section but its called Alsagra and is in umbria near Tuscany. the Italians we have met love children, we even had them take them into the kitchen to look after them whilst we had our meal. We must have looked SO stressed out. I would recomend anyone to go there are parks everywhere and the people are so kind.

Nicholalovesitaly Thu 06-Aug-09 14:00:43

I didn't realise but you can add the link so their website is: www.aplaceinumbria.com

Hassled Thu 06-Aug-09 14:00:57

DH and I have ambitious plans to retire to a village called Atrani on the Amalfi Coast - we're working on our Italian but I seem to have no instinctive flair for it. I am very jealous of ILs in Italy.

Hassled Thu 06-Aug-09 14:01:54

Scotland to Sorrento envy. That is one ambitious car trip. How long did it take you?

BonsoirAnna Thu 06-Aug-09 14:02:04

We went to Italy too, and it was lovely. We were just near a beautiful village in Tuscany called Lucignano...

ClaireDeLoon Thu 06-Aug-09 14:08:51

tiredemma that sounds a lovely holiday - are you really thinking of getting married out there? That would be wonderful especially with family there.

How long did the Scotland to Sorrento trip take holyguacomole? We drove down to Venice from SE England, it was the entire 2 week holiday, so a few nights in the Italian Lakes etc. We were in a 1960's car though so couldn't do loads of miles a day.

tiredemma Thu 06-Aug-09 15:13:04

It really was so wonfderful. I had wanted to go to Italy for such a long time, and in all honesty- had the Inlaws not moved there, I doubt that we would ever have gone.

I cant remember ever going on holiday and coming back feeling so enthralled by a place and its people.

I would go back in a heartbeat!!

Really keen to visit other places in Italy now.

HolyGuacamole Thu 06-Aug-09 18:52:35

Hassled and Claire - took us 3 weeks. We went down to Strasbourg via Dover and thru Switzerland, then went through over the San Gottardo pass over the Alps. Then down through the Italian Lakes into Milan, Bologna, Modena, San Morino, Florence then arrived at Sorrento for a week.

We then drove back up the west coast stopped in Tuscania (in Lazio), Rapallo, Portofino, Monaco and Antibes. I think we done around 3,500 miles in all.

We were knackered and ran out of clothes by the time we got back grin Was brilliant though, would do it again in a second but too skint at the moment smile

thighsmadeofcheddar Thu 06-Aug-09 18:56:21

Oh my SIL lives in a small tuscan town and they have an amazing life. I cry each time we come back to britain.

HolyGuacamole Thu 06-Aug-09 18:56:55

tiredemma - tell us about the food you ate when over there?

I love hearing about the food, it's so much fresher and nicer than what we get here grin

Aidensmama Sat 08-Aug-09 17:58:27

We are thinking about amalfi coast for next yr.

Would you recommend it with a babe about 18mths (he will be when we plan to go sept next yr).

Or would anybody recommend anywhere else to chill out, eat well and take in the culture of italy?

cornsillk Sat 08-Aug-09 18:05:02

We had a lovely holiday in Tuscany a few years ago. Our ds's loved eating out there - they can't bear it in the UK.

trixymalixy Sat 08-Aug-09 18:07:56

Ooh, I love Italy and particularly the amalfi coast. Hassled I stayed in Atrani last time I was there, so can see why you would want to retire there.

tiredemma Mon 10-Aug-09 12:09:50

We ate lots of fresh fish (and lots of pasta!!)

myalias Mon 10-Aug-09 12:29:41

Pleased you had a wonderful holiday in Italy it truly is a beautiful country. I am off to the Italian lakes next week for the second time. I have also been to Rome and Venice which were both fabulous holidays. The icecream is to die for bring on the nocciola!!! I am saving up to take my dh to Florence for his 40th birthday.
We stayed at Piani Di Clodia in Lake Garda and it's not far from Gardaland which is Italy's version of Disneyland. Fantastic place arrived there at 10.00 in the morning and didn't leave until gone midnight. It had everything shows, rides and the spectacular fireworks, lazer and lights show finale. There is also a movieworld and waterpark close by.

Leslaki Mon 10-Aug-09 23:03:50

Going to a campsite north of venice on Friday!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!! Can't wait! Love the food, country and people!!! Wouls move in a minute but don't have any cash!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now