Talk

Advanced search

Looking for somewhere to go in Septemeber with a nearly 4 yr old and 10 month old!!

(25 Posts)
jenwa Tue 04-Aug-09 11:04:14

We want to go on holiday with our two children the first weekend in sept.
We have not been away since dd1 was 4 months due to Dh being busy at work etc. Anyway we are now able to go on holiday and want to go abroad for a week.

I want to go somewhere that will cater well for kids as thinking if we go self catering it may be a big hassle making sure we have everything? I dont mind cooking etc but its just knowing what shops are about etc.

Dh is thinking spain and I dont really mind where we go as long as its not too expensive really.

Just really would like some recommendations or advice.

Thank you

LionstarBigPants Tue 04-Aug-09 11:10:37

We've been to Sardinia and Fuerteventura in September, both of which were lovely and no more than 2 hours flight.

I'd recommend self-catering with kids as you get so much more space and freedom. All being packed into one hotel room in the evenings is no fun. Supermarkets are easy in Europe and have all the usual stuff. If you eat out a couple of times, then there won't be too many meals to cook. Having a kitchen makes storing and preparing lunch and snacks very easy.

Have fun!

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:23:37

Lion - not sure how you got to Fuerteventura - but by plane it takes approx 4.5 hours!!!

OP - We love Menorca, which will still be lovely in September. About 2 hours flying time, although can be less depending on where you fly from. We went self catering twice to a place called Viva Menorca in Cala n Bosch (with First Choice). It was excellent, and Id go every year only dh likes to try different places. The apartments are on 2 floors, spotlessly clean and have a hotel run kids club, they do a kids disco in the evening followed by usually good entertainment for the whole family. Cala n Bosch itself is a lovely family friendly resort, with no nightclubs or louts, it has great restaurants and a few little bars around a pretty marina that you can walk round in the evening.
dd is going again with my mother next week and I am envy

PestoMonster Tue 04-Aug-09 11:27:11

I would second Mosschops' recommendation of Cala'n'Bosch. Two beaches, marina surrounded by restaurants, so plenty of choice (and competition!) for dining and there is a little Dotto Train and children's playground. On the outskirts there is a great waterpark too. Menorca is so easy there is just one main road running the length of the island, and the other resorts just have roads off it. You should hire a car and visit the others, there are lots, all with glorious sandy beaches.

Enjoy!

jenwa Tue 04-Aug-09 11:29:41

Great thank you

So when you go self catering do you actaully take any food out with you or buy once you get there? Its more the kids I worry about and not having stuff in! Can I take food on the plane etc? Cereals etc so we have some supplies?

jenwa Tue 04-Aug-09 11:32:36

is this the hotel mosschops

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:33:00

I never take any food when we go self catering and I flat refuse to cook, when its my 2 weeks holiday why should I??? wink

I stock up on basics when I get there, tea bags, cereals etc. I buy a big pack of ham or bacon, some cheese etc and then buy fresh rolls every day (great bakery by those apts btw) for lunch. Then go out for dinner every night.

PestoMonster Tue 04-Aug-09 11:34:31

There are supermarkets there. Just get it when you get there. Also there are places where you can get a breakfast so you don't have to worry if you arrive in the early hours. I personally wouldn't bother taking any food with me.

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:34:47

Yes thats the one, its exclusive to First Choice in the Uk but also a lot od lovely spanish families there too (who I inagine book direct from this website).
If you look on holidays uncovered or trip advisor it has good reviews.
The staff there are amazing, I loved it!

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:35:38

dear god my typing is appalling today, Im like COD!! grin sorry!

jenwa Tue 04-Aug-09 11:36:27

Thank you
I probably sound stupid but its been a long time since I went away and when its only yourself and DH you can eat out lots etc but I would just worry I never had anything for the children!

jenwa Tue 04-Aug-09 11:39:43

Dont worry, I often just type away and post it withoug checking so my spelling and grammer are often all over the place. Trying to type, give dd2 a snack and do sticking with dd1 hmm

Thanks for your advice, I will show DH that when he comes home. Nice to know about the breakfast too, that was a worry aswell!

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:41:24

How old are your dc's?
They will be fine, the apts have their own supermarket (overpriced) and another chepaer one up the road, plus wherever you stay will have a pool bar etc which your dc's will nag you for all day every day grin
we took dd (9) and ds (2) two years running

geordieminx Tue 04-Aug-09 11:42:11

We went to the Los Gigantes Spa and Suites hotel in Ternife in May and it was amazing..about 1/2 hour away from all of the brit resorts - 5 pools, kids club, softplay, 4 restuarants all inc. - totally fnatastic, we never left the hotel!

mosschops30 Tue 04-Aug-09 11:43:35

a lot of places do B&B options too if you prefer (the Viva does) but I dont think its worth it. Ours love eating doughnuts, pastries, toast, cereals etc when on holiday and we can eat when we want then rather than having to be 'down for breakfast' at a certain time.
(plus they stay up much later on holiday = lie ins of up to 10-11am grin)

jenwa Tue 04-Aug-09 11:50:05

dd1 will be 4 in Oct and DD2 will be 1 in oct.

Liking the lie ins smile

I think self catering does seem better then!
I think DH will be the one nagging for the pool bar grin

Will have a look at at yours geordieminx too.

jenwa Thu 06-Aug-09 17:27:49

mosschops looking at the website all rooms look the same so if I book for me and DH and the two children there is only 1 bedroom. Did you put your children in 1 room and then sleep on sofa bed?

herbietea Thu 06-Aug-09 18:14:22

Message withdrawn

herbietea Thu 06-Aug-09 18:15:59

Message withdrawn

jenwa Thu 06-Aug-09 20:05:18

Thank you herbietea Looks nice too! I am worried about lack of space in the rooms although hopefully we will not be in them much.
How far was the airport to the hotel in Majorca?

herbietea Thu 06-Aug-09 20:28:13

Message withdrawn

jenwa Thu 06-Aug-09 21:32:12

herbietea thanks for all that, fab. Its so difficult to know where to go and what to expect. I have looked at the reviews and they seem good too alhough one was very odd re cracked pictures and the place should be bulldozed! But all the rest great and all saying what you saying about childrens entertainment.
Thanks for info re plane meal too,I would prefer that too grin

herbietea Thu 06-Aug-09 21:45:50

Message withdrawn

dorothybunny Fri 07-Aug-09 14:43:42

I would also recommend Cala n' Bosch in Menorca. We went there on our first trip overseas with the children in September last year when our DS's were 3 and 15 months. We stayed "here" and couldn't fault it. It's only a 5 minute walk away from the marina where most of the (child friendly) restaurants and bars are. It's also only a 5 minute stroll to the beach. There is a supermarket right next door and a cheaper one a couple of minutes away. I know that Thomson have this hotel in their brochures but we wanted a 2 bed apartment and had to book direct with the hotel and buy flights separately to get this as Thomson only have allocation for 1 bed apartments. The pool is amazing for children and gently sloping so very safe for paddling. I recommended this place to a friend and she went with her very young family in June this year and they loved it too. HTH.

jenwa Sat 08-Aug-09 08:41:41

Wow dorothybunny that looks lovely! It is more expensive though and not sure our budget yet but will show DH and see what he thinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now