Talk

Advanced search

Where do you go when you used to do 5* long haul luxury and now need to travel with 8 month old baby ?

(16 Posts)
Trickysue Sun 02-Aug-09 22:14:04

Really want to get a break while I am on mat leave but need to go short haul as it will be daughters first foreign trip. Looking for somewhere nice possibly with babysitting but not inundated with kids.Would be nice to have somewhere where we can hire a car and eat out at local places - will be just me and hubbie and daughter so all the villas i keep finding are for larger groups.
Am so chuffed to be a mum now but struggling with holiday options ....any ideas gratefully received ?

Mybox Sun 02-Aug-09 22:15:05

Do you want city or country?

Trickysue Sun 02-Aug-09 22:17:47

Am open minded not really....just spent ages on internet looking at places and not getting anywhere fast - any recommendations are welcome xx

Habbibu Sun 02-Aug-09 22:22:22

Not a villa, but oh so fab - here. Italy brilliant with children, this B&b just lovely (annexe best with children) and Arezzo is lovely. Cannot wait to go back. Fly to Pisa or Bologna and hire car.

Habbibu Sun 02-Aug-09 22:23:34

Also it's near-ish The Mall - outlet shopping for Italian designer brands, so if you're missing luxury...

Mybox Sun 02-Aug-09 22:26:16

If city - what about Paris or Rome - lots to do and see. Went to Rome when my dd was 1yr and she had a great time looking about in her babysling whilst we went sightseeing - plus everyone made a fuss especially in cafes/restaurants.

Trickysue Sun 02-Aug-09 22:29:24

Thank you have forwarded link to hubbie I like a lot - you are a star x

taczilla Sun 02-Aug-09 22:33:13

Rent a flat in San Sebastian wonderful place and handy from Bilbao.

Badpups Mon 03-Aug-09 11:52:33

You may think that this is mad - but how about Thailand if you're used to long haul luxury. We went when our twins were 6 months and again 2.5 years later when DS2 was 6mths.

Children coped with flights brilliantly and when there we all had a fantastic time and the Thais love children. Hotels and serviced apartments all do babysitting and luxury doesn't cost too much once you're there.

GirlsAreLoud Mon 03-Aug-09 11:54:01

My friend went to a five star place in Egypt when their babe was about 5 months - they had a kind of villa room apparently and said it was fab.

Will think where it was.

MrsBadger Mon 03-Aug-09 11:55:14

I suggest 5* shorter-haul luxury

Morocco? Tunisia? Madeira?

go now now now before she is too mobile - an 18mo on your lap is hideous on a 5h flight

MrsBadger Mon 03-Aug-09 11:59:15

oh yes egypt too

GirlsAreLoud Mon 03-Aug-09 12:00:08

I think my friend went to the Sheraton Sharm

SHe said the rooms were big enough that they could stay in in the room and eat and not disturb the baby if they wanted to.

Blu Mon 03-Aug-09 12:00:44

We took DS to Mauritius when he was 8m (family trip, not 5*, LOL), and it was fine - ideal really. 15m - 36m are the nightmare years for long flights! Shade on the beach, calm shallow water, the hotels in Mauritius generally have excellent childcare...not the best sightseeing country, though, aside from temples and some fab scenery.

Trickysue Tue 04-Aug-09 06:45:06

Thanks for all your tips girls there are some great suggestions here fingers crossed we will be able to get a break next month wink

mummy2isla Mon 31-Aug-09 10:17:18

We went to Barbados when our dd was 9 months old and stayed in a house, it was fab and the housekeeper also did babysitting... the flight was absolutely fine as she just slept for the majority! I would recommend an apt / house over a hotel!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now