Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been to Sicily for a family holiday?

(9 Posts)
pardeep Fri 24-Jul-09 17:24:40

Hi I'm thinking of going to Sicily with my family with pregnant sister and husband. Sis hasn't had great pregnancy so far and want a holiday where we can chill out and sightsea but keep a 12 and 7 year old interested. Anyone recently been to Sicily and can provide some advice please?

cornsillk Fri 24-Jul-09 17:26:24

I looked at that as the flights were really cheap but everywhere was £££££££.

pardeep Fri 24-Jul-09 18:03:25

Hi, I know, I'm looking at flights too - where did you look? I tried Travelsupermarket.co.uk.

cornsillk Fri 24-Jul-09 18:18:05

Can't remember now - sorry! They were really cheap though.

BonsoirAnna Fri 24-Jul-09 18:23:40

Not great for a family holiday IMO. Greece much better for 12 and 7 year old.

hf128219 Sat 25-Jul-09 14:33:06

Good friends of ours took a villa last year with a 1 and 2 year old - they loved it.

pardeep Sat 25-Jul-09 18:24:50

Thanks for your feedback.

oneofakind Sun 26-Jul-09 11:56:59

we returned from a two week holiday to sicily with our 3 year old in may. We booked flights and accommodation independently and booked a place with a pool for the second week with great views of mount etna smoking away! If you and the children are into culture and history then obviously there are some fabulous sights in sicily - we had 6 days in the trapani area, 5 days in the taormina area and a couple of days in cefalu at the end. very hot even at the end of may and it is apparently unbearably hot in july and aug - 40 plus - even for the locals. There are some fabulous beaches but not many 'resorts' if that is what you are looking for. we were pleasantly surprised by the prices - pizzas generally about £4 - £5 and pasta dishes a little more. great wines fairly cheap. I think on the whole Greece is probably better for a trad family holiday (and maybe with older kids who will probably want a little more 'stimulation' than a 3 year old). Or how about any of the countries with the famous water parks - port aventura in Spain for example (near to beaches and within easy striking distance of Barcelona). We enjoyed Sicily however and will definitely return.

mumof2222222222222222boys Tue 28-Jul-09 08:42:09

Went there for honeymoon - about 8 years ago, without children. would love to go back, but it is unlikely at the moment. The things we loved there would not be appreciated by DSs aged 4 and 2 at the moment. Other than the pizza!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now