Talk

Advanced search

Advice for trip to Mykonos with a 4 month old Please!

(6 Posts)
newmuminwonderland Wed 22-Jul-09 13:09:13

Hello all!

I'm a new mum, and this will be my first trip away with my dd. I have the flights and hotel booked, but I am hoping that all you more experienced mums out there can help with everything else.

Can anyone tell me if it is advisable to bring a pushchair, or is it a waste of time and space? Will my babybjorn baby carrier be useful? We are not planning on renting a car, is this a mistake? I would love to see the island of Delos, am I crazy to consider it with a baby in tow?

Any tips and advise will be warmly welcomed. Perhaps a few packing tips could be thrown in for good measure. We will be staying at the Palladium Hotel, if any of you have stayed there before.

I look forward to hearing from all of you!
Many thanks.

Sunshinemummy Wed 22-Jul-09 13:31:06

Definitely take a pushchair. DS slept in his so we could go out in the evenings while he slept.

Renting a car only necessary if you plan to visit places. We tend to but we maninly travel independently.

Haven't been to Delos so couldn't say.

Mothercare do mosquito bands which are definitely worth a purchase.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Wed 22-Jul-09 14:51:58

Would second taking your pushchair. You will both be cooler with little one in there rather than a sling And you will be able to let her sleep in the evening, as sunshine mummy suggests, so you can have dinner/a wander. Having said that, I would take the sling with you. They are great for that walk from plane to baggage collection on arrival (particularly in the UK where it seems you are required to walk for miles with babe in arms!)

If you use disposable nappies: Take enough nappies for the first day or so only - you will find a supermarket which stocks them locally so don't waste valuable packing space. Ditto wipes.

If you are bottle feeding/need sterilising equipment whilst away, buy the cold water sterilising tablets and make do with a large saucepan (which you are bound to find in your self-catering accommodation/borrow from hotel) rather than carting special sterilising units with you.

MrsBadger Wed 22-Jul-09 15:06:09

Not been to Mykonos specifically but:

def take pushchair so she can drop off as and when without having to dash back to the hotel. Get a good shade solution for it - protect-a-bub / shade-a-babe / large muslin - whatever works with your pram.

def take sling, esp to use round airports

remember if you rent a car you will need to rent a carseat too (or take your own). More hassle than it's worth IMO.

she'll want more bfs if it's hot - make sure you're wearing stuff you can feed in. And be prepared to feed on the plane during take-off and landing. Position her suitably on yr lap then fasten her belt.

hotels with buffets are fab as one of you can eat a hot meal while, if necc, the other walks dd up and down

anti-mosquito stuff you can dab on a muslin and hang on the pram is good - don't put it direct on her skin. And keep her right out of the sun if poss - suncream is a pain in the arse on babies this small.

make sure hotel knows you need a cot

try for a room that gets either no sun or sun in the morning only

don't be afraid to put her to sleep at night in just a nappy if it is roasting - you can always put a sheet over her later.

newmuminwonderland Thu 23-Jul-09 11:06:13

Thank you all so much for the advise. I am also curious if Mykonos town is pushchair friendly. I know that it is steep in places, and I am hoping that we will not encounter any steps......

Great advise re mosquitos and shade. Keep it coming ladies!

Sunshinemummy Thu 23-Jul-09 11:09:19

Hmmm I can't remember whether there are steps anywhere but I think you can detour around them anyway. All roads seem to lead down to the harbour from what I can remember.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now