Talk

Advanced search

Toddler friendly resort in either Majorca/Menorca/Ibiza - loved Puerto Pollensa last year

(11 Posts)
MidgetGem Tue 21-Jul-09 22:06:08

Hi there, DD 23 months, looking for a holiday first week in September. We loved Puerto Pollensa last year and would like somewhere similar but fancied trying a different resort - any recommendations?? Prefer quiet (ish), nice local restaurants (no McDonalds!!) and toddler friendly beach - TIA! x

CrystalTits Tue 21-Jul-09 22:23:32

Cala'n Porter on the south coast of Menorca is good for families. Only 15 mins transfer from the airport but not in flight path. Resort is family-oriented, quiet, the restaurants (although not haute cuisine) are good value (the Castle restaurant is good) and the sheltered sandy bay provides a great beach. Beware the 200 steps down to the beach though and get the road train instead!

MidgetGem Wed 22-Jul-09 18:33:02

Thanks for that I'll check it out - and love the name, tee hee!!!

wonderingwondering Wed 22-Jul-09 18:35:05

Cala Galdana in Menorca is small, quiet and very good for young families (no rowdy bars). There's a couple of quite nice restaurants. The beach is clean and barely any tide so safe for paddling - my one year old was OK mooching about in the shallows.

MidgetGem Wed 22-Jul-09 18:37:07

Thanks WW, I've been looking at Cala Galdana, almost booked it at weekend - which apartments did you stay in?

princessmel Wed 22-Jul-09 18:38:26

We like Cala d'or in Mallorca. Have been with the dc's 3 times. All the beaches are small coves. Cala Mondrego beach is particularly nice. Very clean with loo, cafe etc. No tatt shops there as it's a nature reserve beach.

wonderingwondering Wed 22-Jul-09 18:43:05

The two main hotels are the Hotel Cala Galdana, and the Sol Gavilanes.

With one child of nearly 2 I'd consider the Sol as you can all share a room, and be right on the beach.You come out of the hotel elevator onto the promenade, and the balconies overlook the water, which is good in the evening if your child is asleep.

With younger or more children I'd say the Hotel Cala Galdana as they put families in apartments with a kitchen. You are then further from the beach but the swimming pool is much better - depends what is important to you.

And there's another main hotel, which isn't so geared up for children but is very nice - can't remember its name. The rooms are a much higher standard than the other two which are kind of top-end package hotels rather than luxury hotels, if you see what I mean? But still very nice.

Those are the three main hotels, the others are further from the beach (up a steep hill).

MidgetGem Wed 22-Jul-09 18:44:05

Thanks for that princessmel, sounds lovely - lots to go on, DH prefers coves because he likes to snorkle! so will definatley look at that. Is Cala D'or a very big resort, we don't like them too big or "English" if you know what I mean - thanks!

MidgetGem Wed 22-Jul-09 18:46:27

That's great WW thanks for the information, I will check them out on line tonight or over weekend.

MidgetGem Wed 22-Jul-09 18:46:38

That's great WW thanks for the information, I will check them out on line tonight or over weekend.

princessmel Wed 22-Jul-09 18:52:09

No not too big. Cala Egos just round the corner is slightly smaller. There is a cove beach at each end of the town. One has tiny jelly fish in May (when we go) but you always see lots of divers coming in and out from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now