Talk

Advanced search

Mousses, Lefkas - beach recommendations please

(11 Posts)
toobusytothink Fri 17-Jul-09 15:08:36

Hello
So we are off here on Sunday after reading fantastic things on mumsnet. Have looked at all the tips but would be grateful for any tips on the best beaches. DS and DD aren't really into beautiful stretches of long golden sand, so we are looking for more cove like beaches. Perhaps with rock pools??? Am aware the ones down the west coast are more remote but perhaps a bit far to go for a couple of hours beach time. So any beautiful deserted coves around with nice shallow water for paddling???

Many thanks

JohnDory Fri 17-Jul-09 15:09:34

the beaches are pretty crap tbh
a lot steep, too hard to spend a long period of time on
we went on a boat and then swam in the sea

cockles Fri 17-Jul-09 15:15:18

Beaches are wonderful, but the ones we went to all more like long stretches of sand. Usually with a climb down to them. Agia Nik. rings bells in my mind. Try friends of the ionian which has a website & guides, I think.

toobusytothink Fri 17-Jul-09 15:16:33

think ds (3) and dd (2) are a bit young for that. We aren't planning on spendiing all day sunbathing on the beach - just going for a paddle and a play.
Sounds as though you were less than impressed - bit of a shame.

toobusytothink Fri 17-Jul-09 15:17:41

thanks cockles. Normally long sandy beaches are my idea of paradise, but unfortunately the dc's get bored!!!!

JohnDory Fri 17-Jul-09 15:24:23

yes it was SO hot when we were there (40) you wouldnt have wanted to trek a long way.
teh one near the place is a bit scrappy but there is a cool cafe on it.
the pirate boat ship trip looks so shit but is tread

toobusytothink Fri 17-Jul-09 17:46:06

bump

toobusytothink Fri 17-Jul-09 19:20:17

one last chance at bumping

Kiwinyc Sun 19-Jul-09 17:31:02

agios nikolas on the northwest coast is lovely - pebble beach - but shallow and calm water. Also has some great little restaurants to eat at. Lovely.

Kiwinyc Sun 19-Jul-09 17:32:13

PS from mousses would be a short drive 20-30mins? Not too far anyway. Enough there to spend the whole day anyway.

helenabeth Mon 20-Jul-09 20:06:59

Agios Nikitas lovely - lots of little covey bits and relatively shallow. Can get some unexpectedly big waves though. My boys (4 and 21mths) loved it. Little one in heaven anywhere that has pebbles big enough for him to throw into the water. You can watch the fish too.Sapho, restaurant right by beach meant to be great, we went to Posideon further up road - v kid friendly. If you want a fab beach in terms of views, clear water and 'caves', then in has to be Kalimitsi. Very hairy drive down sheer rock face, but so worth it. We loved it - although not good for unaccompanied swimming. And take your own supplies - a v ropey little taverna there and that's it.
We love Mousses - been twice, hope to go back again once DC3 arrives!
HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now