Talk

Advanced search

France - need some ideas!

(10 Posts)
Ewe Mon 13-Jul-09 13:18:26

I am staying at my in-laws near Tours for two weeks at the beginning of August.

We are planning on leaving DD with them for a night or two so that we can have a couple of nights off, go out to dinner, relax, drink wine etc. Last year we went to Paris and would like to go somewhere else this year.

Can you recommend anywhere to stay, either town or hotel, within 2 hours of Tours?

Thanks!

Tinker Mon 13-Jul-09 13:25:21

I take it you've actually done Tours? I really like Tours. What about Angers? Nice city

Ewe Mon 13-Jul-09 13:32:37

Yes, have done Tours a couple of times. Will have a look at Angers, DP said to just pick somewhere on a map but it seems a bit too random for my liking!

mumof2222222222222222boys Mon 13-Jul-09 21:06:39

What about looking for a lovely b&b or small hotel in the area? Don't have any guide books for that area (well no in date ones) but should be easy to do a search.

Waswondering Mon 13-Jul-09 21:09:47

Is Reims too far away? We were there for our first wedding anniversary and it was fabulous! (Realise it's wrong side of Paris!)

For family stuff, have you seen http://www.familiscope.fr/ - brilliant website, search by departement.

Typing this from near Tours - having a magic time smile!

Ewe Mon 13-Jul-09 21:23:34

Very happy to do a lovely b&b or small hotel but find just looking at websites a bit hit and miss based on previous experience.

Reims probably is a bit too far, over 3 hours in the car with DP and I won't want to spend two nights with him! grin That website is fab though, thank you! This is the first year DD is old enough to do stuff so v.useful. Do you live there ww or on hols?

Lilymaid Mon 13-Jul-09 21:36:03

WE have stayed at this hotel in a lovely French village on the banks of the Loir (not Loire) 30-40 minutes drive north of Tours. (The current website is dreadful. We've always found good hotels through Logis de France. What about Chartres - not sure how far it is from Tours?

Waswondering Tue 14-Jul-09 19:09:15

on hols and we found that site by accident. Staying near Legueil (sp?) - v beautiful and loving it.

A few years ago dh and I stayed in a chateau hotel which was part of a chain - boasting equivalent prices to a travelodge in UK, but the one we stayed in was truly gorgeous (eg marble bathrooms etc - and 8 years ago £60 ish for a night - food pricey on site, but hey!)

Am looking for the link . . .

Waswondering Tue 14-Jul-09 19:14:31

I think it was this site - selecting Loire and romantic though.

Ewe Tue 21-Jul-09 21:08:05

That website is fabulous, thank you!

<excited>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now