Talk

Advanced search

what is sunsail like?

(17 Posts)
LilyAllensThirdNipple Sun 12-Jul-09 21:33:52

me lazy
dh and dsses mad sportsmen
dh particulalry into kayakking and canoeing

cna i read a book and wave the dsses goodbye?

do they do accom for 5?

is everyone unfailingly hearty or is there Room For Cynics

LilyAllensThirdNipple Sun 12-Jul-09 21:36:28

and DO sunsail want to offer me a free hol so I can try it then come back and tell you lot?

blowninonabreeze Sun 12-Jul-09 21:42:22

Yes to reading a book and saying good bye

Not sure about canoeing/kayaking oppourtunities - tend to be more sailing/ windsurfing/ waterskiing led in my experience.

We went here on our most recent trip (2 years ago)
and they do 2 bedroom appartments which sleep up to 7.

Kids clubs are fabulous if your children are that way inclined. Do all the sailing etc.

in the past, everyone was unfailingly hearty - true but as years have gone by there definatly been more diversity into the cynical grin (we've been going away with sunsail since I was about 10)

slackrunner Sun 12-Jul-09 21:47:35

Yep again to being able to say 'Ciao!' and stick your nose in a book or trot off to the beauty salon.

Sunsail trumps MW if you're a keeno dinghy sailor as the kit is farrrr superior.

Much heartiness - annoyingly so - sometimes dh and I just wanted dinner on our own thanks very much <anti-social emoticon>. Colonna has tables for two at dinner, other places I've been haven't had.

Bellsa Sun 12-Jul-09 21:54:17

I have been to Neilson twice and cannot reccomend highly enough. And they do lots of sailing stuff, as well as a week in resort and a week aboard if that's what you want. Kids club was fab too, and the people were great!

VietnameseCobbler Mon 13-Jul-09 08:55:30

and how much is it?
Roughly , school hols.
ANd do oyu do full board etc.. lol at heartiness

Kiwinyc Mon 13-Jul-09 18:49:44

yes you certainly can wave them goodbye and be left in peace for the entire day

they all have sea kayaks, thats the only thing DH and I tried, apart from blagging our way onto the boats of people that actually could sail! grin

Yes they can accomodate big families.
Yes you can eat alone!

Neilson offer similiar to Sunsail and I think both do a good job although we haven't done Neilson (yet).

The problem is that to go in school holiday time you need mucho dineros and they never offer 'a kids go free' discount then either.

slackrunner Thu 16-Jul-09 07:34:02

Do expect lots of chat at supper along the lines of 'Oh I say - I like the cut of your jib!'.

Costs are around £500 - 700 (out of peak season) if going to Greece/ Turkey, ++ if going to Antigua.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 16-Jul-09 07:50:59

but if the cost is too high because of school holidays it's worth remembering MW 7% discount for mners is on top of sale prices too... and if they haven't been before presumably the kit being slightly inferior won't phase them?

slackrunner Thu 16-Jul-09 19:23:11

I think Sunsail is still cheaper than MW - even with the 7% discount.

EachPeachPearMum Thu 16-Jul-09 20:02:51

Really? hmmm... we were looking at sunsail a couple of years ago but have a 3yo and an infant now hmm
We liked the look of the Thailand course...

slackrunner Thu 16-Jul-09 20:05:53

Maybe I'm wrong - it's been a few years since we did MW or Sunsail.

Anyway - I prefer Sunsail - but I'm a racing snake dinghy sailor so I like fast kit

EachPeachPearMum Thu 16-Jul-09 20:20:24

grin

Can't see the thai one on their site anyway... I think it has got a lot more dangerous in the oceans there to run courses...

MW seem to always have last minute availability though -which is cheaper than the brochure prices...

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Sat 25-Jul-09 23:06:22

We always found them cheaper than MW, and always had great holidays with them. And yes you can just lie around and read or get spa treatments or go on trips, there are also swimming pools and often tennis if you feel like moving a teeny bit! Some places there is diving too now (def at Colonna) if DH likes that.

Kiwinyc Sun 26-Jul-09 17:33:00

Colonna is no longer! Sunsail no longer have any of their turkish clubs either. They've replaced them all with a Club in Fuerteventura and one in Eqypt! (The latter two offer diving)

HandbagAddiction Thu 30-Jul-09 12:54:46

Such a shame about the turkish clubs. Someone who is 'in the know' told me that this was because the Turkish government stated that they had to use over 80% of Turkish staff throughout the club - covering watersports instruction, nannies and everything. Sunsail's response was that there was not a high enough proporation of Turkish staff qualified, in terms of RYA or equivelent or NNEB, and anything less would be a very hard sell to the British....hence why they decided to withdraw.

A real shame as Club Phokaia was excellent and they'd just spent thousands doing up Javellin......

HandbagAddiction Thu 30-Jul-09 12:55:34

And to add, friends who have been with us to Sunsail have also been to Neillson. They really rate their 'plus' resorts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now