Talk

Advanced search

Alpine Summer Activity -- cheapest way to do this

(15 Posts)
mulranno Thu 09-Jul-09 17:10:29

Really fancy taking the kids to an adventure holiday in the Alps this year...which companies do this?...have looked at Espirt...need something cheaper...can you organise this direct?

LIZS Thu 09-Jul-09 17:17:18

Esprit have lots of offers on ie Family of 3 from £500 . Alternatively contact/google the tourist information office of your chosen resort and ask for offer on sc apartments or b and b's . Many resorts have activities organised in peak season for families ie organised walks and trails, local passes for lifts, ski schools convert to activity centres with climbing and rafting.

Lilymaid Thu 09-Jul-09 17:23:33

We've booked particular activities through the local tourist office, there is often a discount if you go for more than two activities. We've booked our DSs onto White Water Rafting; Canyonning (sp?); Trott Bikes (scooters mountain bike style for going down mountains) and mountain biking. All the guides could speak enough English to ensure that the boys were OK safety wise etc. There are other activities you can choose - walking/climbing/aerial walkway etc in most resorts.

mulranno Fri 10-Jul-09 10:30:34

I have never been to any of the resorts...Which ones should we head for...criteria...scenic, cheap!...easy travel either driving or flying..

LIZS Fri 10-Jul-09 13:29:07

Sorry but it is unlikely to be a cheap holiday whereever you go . Have a look at some of the larger ski resorts like Chamonix, Morzine, Alpe d'Huez, La Plagne, St Anton/Lech, Kitzbuehel, Zell am see/Kaprun, Saas Fee, Zermatt, Villars as they will have more going on and some do kids rates for under 12's lift passes and free under 6's. The weather can be stormy and unpredictable so look for a large public indoor pool and other facilities.

LIZS Fri 10-Jul-09 13:37:34

If you look at some of the operators likehere you'll get a feel for what is around but could package similar yourselves direct.

mulranno Fri 10-Jul-09 15:28:13

Thanks LIZS..I suppose it was obviuos that I should look at the ski operaters...all looks great...think that I will try and price it all up independently...and then compare with a package. Do you know if any of the packages include bike hire, lift pass, activities included or are all of these on top?...

mulranno Fri 10-Jul-09 16:10:14

Lizs which of the resorts you have mentioned are the most scenic...?....or are any ugly?!!...just found out that you can buy an activity pass from the local tourist board

LIZS Fri 10-Jul-09 16:25:12

Alpe d'Huez is probably the least scenic a sit is a purpose built ski resort above tree line and Chamonix is quite large with some modern buildings but the scenery around is spectacular with a variety of things to do. If you look at pics the others are probably more typically alpine (wooden chalet style buildings, situated in the mountains rather than the base of a valley) The operators sometimes have an adventure package at extra cost - Esprit do for example - or offer individual passes and excursions, but you could probably book locally.

mulranno Fri 10-Jul-09 17:00:17

LIZS thanks....One final Q...where would be the warmest?

LIZS Fri 10-Jul-09 21:24:22

Sorry but you can't rely on or generalise about the weather in the Alps. You can get warm to hot periods , sudden storms then cooler, showery periods, even snow at altitude. South of the Alps is likely to be warmer (ie around the Italian Lakes)

TotalChaos Fri 10-Jul-09 21:28:52

we stayed Ellmau in the Tirol a few years back, it's a smallish ski resort about 1 - 1.5 hours drive from Salzburg. It was lovely, had plenty of shops/restaurants/supermarkets, and a great swimming pool/leisure centre and lift up the mountain (with nice playground at top, and scenic mountain walks)

DebInAustria Sat 11-Jul-09 22:24:00

it is possible to do it cheaply and independently, in our area you can buy the Salzburgerland card which gives you free admission to loads of activities, e-mail me if you want any more info email me debs at austrian family holidays

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Sun 12-Jul-09 02:21:37

If you are concerned about the weather, how about low alps such as Thollon Les Memises? Fly to Geneva and just a 1 hour (or less, depending on traffic) transfer. It's a lovely, low key and low alp resort which means you can get better weather than the higher resorts such as Morzine. You would be just 25 minutes drive from Evian with its outdoor pool and, of course, Lac Leman - with all its sailing and swimming opportunities. In addition, you are just 30 minutes from Bouveret, just across the Swiss border, which has a huge indoor pool, steam train park and gorgeous harbour. Less than an hour from Chillon Castle and approx an hour from Montreux.

Flights are cheap (easyjet to Geneva generally not expensive depending on day of travel), accommodation is cheaper than those resorts higher up but you can still access the higher resorts in relatively short time - Morzine is approx 30 minutes away for example.

If you have any questions about the area just shout out. I know it quite well having spent many weeks there over the last 10 years

mulranno Wed 12-Aug-09 12:39:01

We have booked...ended up renting a chalet in village of Vaujany nr Alpe d'Huez...through a contact...so did not get the opportunity to act on all your advice for my criteria...any way if anyone knows this area...any tips for day trips -- want beautiful scenery -- dont mind drivng few hours each day -- could we get italy/switz provence?...any tips for feeding cash strapped family ... restaurants/shopping...will do all activities thru local tourist board as recommended...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now