Talk

Advanced search

Easyjet requesting passport details in advance - I don't want to divulge details online -anyone ever had problems?

(29 Posts)
Brangelina Sun 05-Jul-09 21:24:18

I've asked for a phone number but it's an 899 number which I can't access on my phone as it's classed as a "sex line" number. We're flying tomorrow, will we have problems at the airport? I keep getting menacing emails from Easyjet telling me we won't be allowed to board unless they get all ID details shock.

The last time I got asked for details I ignored the request and had no problems whatsoever boarding at either end but then I never got menacing emails beforehand.

Has anyone ever been turned away?

sweetfall Sun 05-Jul-09 21:27:42

whyever not?

you'll be fine at airport but might take longer

SoupDragon Sun 05-Jul-09 21:28:56

I had to do this with BA last year too. I can't see the problem.

sweetfall Sun 05-Jul-09 21:29:57

it is fairly standard now

SoupDragon Sun 05-Jul-09 21:33:48

What are you worried about?

Brangelina Sun 05-Jul-09 21:37:02

A family member has been the vistim of identity theft from doing pretty much the same thing only a couple of months ago, so we are all extra wary.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 05-Jul-09 21:40:47

Are you going to spain? For some reason, they insist on the passport details of passengers coming into the country head of time unlike other European countries.

Understand your concern, but even if you go to the airport and get your details onto the system there, it won't make much of a difference whether it's by phone or not. Either way, your passport details will be on the same system.

Hulababy Sun 05-Jul-09 21:43:34

Had to do this for the US with irgin and wwith Thompson, and I think we will have to give Advance Passenger Info when we go to Spainw ith Ryan Air later in the year. Spain and teh US insist on it.

Brangelina Sun 05-Jul-09 21:48:13

No, I'm going from Italy to the UK. Is it a UK thing then? A new anti-terrorism tactic? I also got asked when flying to Paris recently but they weren't quite so insistent and I had no problems ignoring it, I suppose also because there is the Schengen agreement.

I'm not too worried about it being on the database as such, but putting it online to get into the database. I'm not usually paranoid about the internet but recent events have made me more careful.

shonaspurtle Sun 05-Jul-09 21:48:49

I had to do this with RyanAir flying to Spain last year. The info was very clear that you would not get on the flight if they didn't get the info in advance. I don't know if this was bluster, but personally I wouldn't risk it.

Surely if EastJet didn't keep your information secure and you became a victim of identity fraud because of it you could sue them to buggery? <naive>

Brangelina Sun 05-Jul-09 21:51:39

Ha! I'd love to sue them to buggery, but I'm sure they'd have some dogy get out free clause written in the T&Cs I can't be bothered to read.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 05-Jul-09 21:56:16

Interesting. Would say that it isn't a UK immigration requirement as then all flights/passengers would be required to give details. I don't know, but would be interested to find out!

Brangelina Sun 05-Jul-09 21:59:00

So would I. I've asked the question but no one has answered it. I'm also peeved that the airline requesting this information is not prepared to provide a free alternative phone service.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 05-Jul-09 22:12:55

So, either it's UK legislation and Easy Jet are making a profit out of passengers fulfilling their legal obligations, or Easy Jet just want the information for their own purposes?

Heathcliffscathy Sun 05-Jul-09 22:14:25

yes. if you're going to spain (and there might be other countries that need this) they won't let you on the plane unless you've given your details in advance. we did this when we went to majorca earlier this year with no problems at all.

Heathcliffscathy Sun 05-Jul-09 22:15:14

it's a legal requirement for spain. easyjet don't ask this for all their flights.

Brangelina Sun 05-Jul-09 22:18:21

But I'm not going to Spain and it's not a requirement in Italy. Alitalia certainly don't request it.

Why do they even need details in advance anyway? Are they going to be vetting people?

mumonthenet Sun 05-Jul-09 22:22:14

aha....

it's to do with the upcoming summit in Abrezzo...

check out the faqs on easyjet's site.

mumonthenet Sun 05-Jul-09 22:24:12

I mean Abruzzo, not Abrezzo.

mumonthenet Sun 05-Jul-09 22:25:34

though, looking closely, I can't actually see where it says you have to provide your passport details up front.

Still, just another hassle in the name of security I s'pose.

Brangelina Sun 05-Jul-09 22:27:10

Have checked the FAQs and there is no mention of a reason. I've asked customer service for the reason and all I got back was the top rate sex line phone number and no further explanation.

Could be vaguely related to the summit but they've been asking since before the earthquake happened. Still if it was for that reason why are Alitalia being so "flippant" in comparison by not asking anyone for docs? Boh.

Brangelina Sun 05-Jul-09 22:28:30

Before you actually book it doesn't say anything, then when you get your order confirmation through you get a bright yello warning box telling to give them you passport details, and numerous emails reminding you to do so afterwards.

MadBadandDangerousToKnow Sun 05-Jul-09 22:35:59

As Hulababy says, it's Advance Passenger Information.

Info from British Airways suggests it is being rolled out route by route. Information from the UK Border Agency here (third para) suggests that people who refuse to give the information won't be allowed to travel.

mumonthenet Sun 05-Jul-09 22:45:15

seems like madbad has got the right info.

my info only relates to the fact that the Italian Foreign office has suspended the terms of the Schengen Treaty (til 15 July) which means you have to clear customs.

Brangelina Sun 05-Jul-09 22:56:25

Aha! Finally someone with an explanation. Thanks!

I don't object to providing my details (after all, they have access to the same details when I check in), only submitting them on internet and don't see why I should have to pay through the nose for the privilege of submitting them over the phone (if I could even ring them in the first place that is). Easyjet should provide a free phone service or an inexpensive alternative to the internet. Pah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now