Talk

Advanced search

Please help me budget 10 days B&B in Lanzarote for family of four..

(15 Posts)
Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 29-Jun-09 11:57:36

Ok, I admit this isn't the most thrilling of threads but I need to figure out roughly what spending money we're going to need.

We're in a very nice hotel, bed and breakfast rate.

Kids are almost 4 and almost 2.

Assuming we might do one or two trips, plus food, what kind of money do I need to allow for?

Reasons for needing to know:

Scarily near OD limit. Want to take out the money in cash and not spend more than it and worry about getting charges whilst away.

TIA.

nightshade Mon 29-Jun-09 12:05:19

oh don't travel with cash on holiday. it's just crying out to be stolen!!

nightshade Mon 29-Jun-09 12:10:31

depends how hungry your kids are. i found it quite cheap to eat in the chinese and share several different courses.

eating out in lanzarote was much dearer this year mainly due to the price of drinks.

we managed lunch snacks for two (with enough to share with dd 3yrs) for about 12 euro.

dinner in cheaper places was about 30 euro.

go for cheaper snack places and fill kids up on fruit/ crisps/ water from supermarket, in between meals.

nightshade Mon 29-Jun-09 12:12:15

light a fire and burn???

nightshade Mon 29-Jun-09 12:12:46

sorry! wrong thread!

PlumBumMum Mon 29-Jun-09 12:13:24

Anytime I go away I divide the money up by how many days I'm away for plus 1, hide the extra bit away for emergencies and some sterling

We went away with 2 dcs that age to lanzarote for 7 days selfcatering, we either took 1000euros 1000 pounds worth can't remember which (Think it 1000 euros) but it was a few years ago if thats any help

Sycamoretreeisvile Mon 29-Jun-09 12:49:18

Thanks guys. Yes, I think actual cash will be a bit daft, but I just mean put certain amount in our Nationwide account as they do best rate of exchange I think when taking out of ATM abroad.

Useful to get rough prices for meals...thanks.

1dilemma Tue 30-Jun-09 01:07:41

Can you self cater for lunch sandwich, yog fruit etc keeps the costs down?

Sycamoretreeisvile Tue 30-Jun-09 14:40:02

yes, we can def do that. Room as a mini kitchenette...

bellavita Tue 30-Jun-09 14:55:37

Syc - last time we went to Lanzarote, we gave ourselves a budget of £100 per day and if we could spend under that then that was brill.

Boys were maybe 7 & 5.

We also had a little kitchenette, but were room only (I see you have breakfast provided..). We would have yoghurt and fruit or toast for breakfast or eat in the hotel on a pay as you go basis. Lunchtimes we would go along to the little supermarket down the promenade and get a couple of fresh baguettes, ham, cheese, tomatoes and make our own sandwiches and have them on our balcony - it also gave the kids a chance to be out of the lunchtime sun. A couple of times we did beans on toast. For evening, a couple of times we ate in the hotel - buffet style meals, but they were much of a muchness each time. We had italian, chinese, mexican all quite reasonable (at the time). Nowadays, my boys don't do kids meals anymore and my eldest always seems to pick the most expensive on the flippin menu, although DS2 is not far behind him - he has a taste for lobster thermidor, moules, carparcio (sp) of beef and queenie scallops!

DS's are now 12 and 9 so yes, would be 5 years ago.

Sycamoretreeisvile Tue 30-Jun-09 15:22:13

Thanks Bella. We have a little kitchenette in the hotel room so hope to be able to just do sandwiches etc for lunch. Breakfast is included so just evening meal and other treats really.

Shit - just realised I forget to get our Euros at lunchtime - dammit!

So much going on at the moment, head spinning.

Running round trying to get school uniform sorted for DD before we go away.

Got to get everything together and packed for hols.

Have unofficial meet for potential other job tomorrow.

Had meeting at DD's school last night - reception parents evening.

We're actually supposed to be moving offices whilst I'm on holiday hmm so trying to pack everything up.

Gah - life sometimes. I need a chill pill, and make it large!

bellavita Tue 30-Jun-09 15:24:20

<< has visions of Syc being a whirling dirvish >>

I could do with a chill pill everyday blush

geordieminx Wed 01-Jul-09 07:35:09

We were there last year in Playa Blanca Marina - Dp ds(1) and I, and we reckoned that about £100 per day, that was lunch and dinner, plus hire car for 3 days - occasional lunch time beers but no other alcohol apart from that. Twas very expensive. Which is why this year we went all inclusive for £1000 for all 3 of us including weeks's car hire - it worked out soooooo much cheaper... Although I did put on almost a stone blush

gladders Wed 01-Jul-09 12:44:56

yup - eating out v expensive now with the exchage rate. for 4 of us, dinner was 50-80 Euros (so £50-£80) each night. and that's with 2 adult meals and 2 kids....

Sycamoretreeisvile Wed 01-Jul-09 23:26:03

<<packs cup of soup and instant noodles>> grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now