Talk

Advanced search

Why is it so expensive to have a holiday in Cyprus?

(15 Posts)
waitingforgodot Tue 23-Jun-09 19:07:16

I just looked at flight prices and nearly fainted. Looked at package hols and that was worse. So much for the credit crunch and no one going abroad! Someone must be paying top whack for Cyprus

Mintyy Tue 23-Jun-09 19:13:59

So, how much then?

waitingforgodot Tue 23-Jun-09 19:32:51

£300 for a flight only.
On average £500 each for room only.
I am far far too tight to pay those prices. Not looked on teletext yet though

Mintyy Tue 23-Jun-09 19:39:12

So, are we talking £3200.00 for fortnight holiday for 4 in a hotel, room only, no meals?

I agree, that is a tad pricey {shock}!

waitingforgodot Tue 23-Jun-09 19:42:56

We are talking for a week.
For 2 adults plus 1 child.
So its not just me being a tight arse then?
Jeez, you could get to the caribbean for that!

janeite Tue 23-Jun-09 19:44:57

That's a lot. Not Cyprus, but we have booked a fortnight in self-catering in Kos in August for four of us (both girls now count as 'adult' for costing - bah) for less than 2500.

waitingforgodot Tue 23-Jun-09 19:49:43

thats more like it.
Still pricey though. I think I expected holidays for a fiver or something since only 19% of Brits are venturing abroad this summer hmm

serenity Tue 23-Jun-09 20:03:13

It sucks doesn't it? We haven't been able to afford to visit family in Cyprus since DD was a baby - flights are so expensive. There are economy flights - MIL is flying out tomorrow on a last minute flight with Monarch (her 94yo Mother is really sick sad) for £170 rtn, but you can't count on that when you're booking in advance for a group.

aGalChangedHerName Tue 23-Jun-09 20:06:34

Agree!!

The in-laws have an apartment in Paphos we can use anytime but tbh the cost of the flights alone for the 6 of us plus ds1's gf can pay for a package holiday to Spain for us all.

Jodyray Tue 23-Jun-09 21:46:41

try a1travel.com. i found a fortnight in Turkey 2 adults 1 child 1 infant for £990 b&b total price and it was a nice hotel etc, except by the time DP decided to pull his finger out and book his leave it was sold angry. That said there are still loads for £1100 ish as opposed to £1500+ at Thomson etc......not sure how much Cyprus will be but you may save a few quid?? hmm

waitingforgodot Tue 23-Jun-09 22:08:44

thanks jodyray. will go and look now

sunnylabsmum Wed 24-Jun-09 07:23:09

totally agreee- live in cyprus and very few of our friends have made it out here to stay as flights very expensive despoit our offer of free accommodation. Also since the introduction of the euro prices have gone up lots. With the poor rate on the euro-pound it makes coming here expensive. Food is not cheap either. Breakfast cereals around £4 a packet! Nappies extortionately expensive- most of my friends order from Boots online despite a £6 postage cost!

Re Flights- look mid august on Monarch?easyjet and thomas cook online- some cheaper bargains can be found eg under £300. We've managed flights home in July?aug for £250 a head being flexible on when we travel

waitingforgodot Wed 24-Jun-09 10:41:45

thanks sunnylabsmum

mumoverseas Thu 25-Jun-09 10:26:12

DS1 returned this morning from a week in Cyprus on a Duke of Edinburgh trip which cost just over £1,500 shock
Bearing in mind they were camping half the time and stayed in basic accommodation the other nights and had to take their own money for food, I would love to know how this money was spent!

waitingforgodot Thu 25-Jun-09 12:05:03

Hey mumoverseas-did you have fun? How expensive!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now