Talk

Advanced search

Portugal but not the Algarve

(5 Posts)
smurfgirl Tue 16-Jun-09 19:10:08

Had an amazing holiday in Portugal a few years back driving round and staying in a few places.

Found ourselves in Evora, Coimbra and Obidos and have found memories of all of them.

Would love to go back but not travel round and stay somewhere self catering for a week and travel out each day. Flying into Lisbon. Any recommendations for accommodation or which place to stay in?

Thanks.

Kiwinyc Wed 17-Jun-09 17:51:51

What about going north of Lisbon, the silver coast I think its called, its supposed to be lovely! Sorry don't have any accomodation recommendations but it should be hard to find a villa to rent there.

We honeymooned in Portugal and drove from Lisbon down to the Algarve - stopped in Evora for a few days and that was the nicest place, loved it there.

sfxmum Wed 17-Jun-09 17:53:47

the Douro Valley

I don't like the south at all much less the Algarve but the North is lovely

smurfgirl Wed 17-Jun-09 22:39:42

Thanks for the recommendations.

Kiwinyc how did you find driving in Portugal? When I went I was only 17 and so someone else drove.

I loved Evora and have found some cheapish accommodation there and flights to Lisbon seem reasonable. IIRC Lisbon was not mind blowing?

Kiwinyc Thu 18-Jun-09 13:28:38

Driving wasn't stressful, although DH it all. It was pretty empty inbetween Lisbon and the Algarve, this was in early Sept. We stopped in Evora because its a long drive to do it all one day. It can be busy and congested along the coast road in the Algarve but that was the worst traffic we saw. Portuguese drivers did tend to seem a bit suicidal!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now