Talk

Advanced search

Skiathos Info wanted Please :-)

(15 Posts)
TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 16-Jun-09 09:31:08

I go to Skiathos (sans DCs) next week for an entire week to celebrate a special birthday with my big sis . We are staying in Aghia Paraskevi at the Iaonnis Apartments.

Can anyone give me any info about "must see & do" etc? It has been years since I took a trip this long without children and I would love to make the most of it with some sightseeing (something my DCs don't mind for short periods but would rather - understandably - be on the beach!). I have found a fair bit of info about wonderful beaches but would like some info on places to see, good restaurants (am snobbish foodie and not keen on anywhere that caters for english market, iyswim!!)

Am thinking perhaps trip to Skopolos would be do-able too?

There is another thread which alludes to Skiathos being a great place but did not want to hijack

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 16-Jun-09 09:31:55

apologies for truly appalling grammar at the start of OP! blush

mrsbabookaloo Tue 16-Jun-09 09:34:12

Don't really know about what to see and do, but just had to say I have very happy memories of a lovely trip to Skiathos when I had finished my degree. It's a great place, and when I was there (cough cough 14 years ago...oh my god!)was not catering to English market at all. There were more Germans, but it was very low key.

angel1976 Tue 16-Jun-09 11:23:38

Skopolos is where they film Mamma Mia! It looks amazing in the movie, especially the church on top of the hill at the end but this wouldn't be relevant to you if you didn't watch the movie... grin

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 16-Jun-09 14:46:31

Thanks Angel. Yes, I love that movie (DS2 insisted on seeing it at the cinema.....we went to a sing-a-long version on a Monday afternoon before he started school full-time......place was empty except for me and a grooving 4 year old )

CountessDracula Tue 16-Jun-09 14:48:26

Skiathos is lovely (rather full of italians last time I was there)

Yes skopelos would be an easy trip
Alonnisos is really fab - a bit further though

HumpingAnteater Tue 16-Jun-09 15:05:09

Banana Beach is a must. grin

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 16-Jun-09 17:29:22

Thanks for all your replies

Banana Beach..........is that the nudist place??? blush

<< Mrs JS also spots that she has spelt Skopelos wrong too blush >>

Leslaki Thu 18-Jun-09 19:41:38

If you want to do serious sightseeing you can get to Athens, meteora or Delphi in a day or do boat trip to the mainland. A sunset cruise rund the island is fab. yes I'd reccommend going to Skopelos an Alonnissos - fantastic places!!! cam't really say which restauarnts are good now as I worked there 14 years ago but anywhere down the paralia (harbourside) should be good - lots of people watching, especially when a ferry comes in!! The Windmill was always rated the best for kinda 'posh' meals but not sure if that's still the case.

yes - banan beach is the nudist beach, but you have Big Banana and Little banana beaches to choose from - your call grin!!!

Leslaki Thu 18-Jun-09 19:42:10

by mainland I meant the Pelion peninsula!

brimfull Thu 18-Jun-09 19:43:35

is skiathos the same as zante?

Leslaki Thu 18-Jun-09 19:50:33

No - Zante is also known as Zakynthos

brimfull Thu 18-Jun-09 19:55:03

ahh yes

was wondering why you were all saying it was gorgeous

we went to zante and thought it a bit grim

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 18-Jun-09 22:23:29

at ggirl......your greek island geography knowledge sounds as good as mine!

FWIW, I agree with your view on Zante

Thanks for all your replies

rosbif Fri 19-Jun-09 06:17:03

It is a lovely island, in the town there is a great restaurant in a windmill high up on the hill and lots of smart, but not snobby boutiques. There is not much to visit to be honest but trips to Skopelos and Alonossos (sp?) are feasible and very relaxed. Watch out for the dolphines on the way over to the islands. There is a bus that joins up all the main villages with the town so you can easily get to other beaches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now