Talk

Advanced search

"Single parent" shorthaul with 7 and 5 year old next summer! Inspire me!!

(9 Posts)
michaelad Tue 09-Jun-09 10:43:30

As my wonderful dh is going on his long deserved trekking tour next summer, I'll be left with our two little boys (by then 7 and 5). Any shorthaul places you can recommend? And does it have to be "all inclusive" because I can't drive or are other options?

Thanks, ladies!

michaelad Tue 09-Jun-09 10:50:21

bump

michaelad Tue 09-Jun-09 10:58:29

bump

smurfgirl Tue 09-Jun-09 11:06:45

You can go on a package tour to self catering near a resort, that can actually offer more flexibility. You can buy some food and then have breakfast and lunches in the apartment. Then go out for dinner in the evening.

I don't have children but I would imagine that might be easier than having to get them ready for lunches at certain times and supervise them in a restaurant (AI tends to be buffet based). When we self cater we tend to do basic food so its not too length to prepare, bread and cheese type meals!

On a package tour there will be a coach to pick you up from the airport and take you to the accommodation and they pick you up so no driving needed.

I am a big fan of Greece but there are loads of lovely places to go in summer.

michaelad Tue 09-Jun-09 11:39:26

isn't Greece a tad bit too hot during the summer hols?

What places can you recommend in Greece?

smurfgirl Tue 09-Jun-09 15:11:55

Yes it is very warm but so are most comercial places. Make sure you chose an apartment with air-con.

Hmm. I think Kefalonia is nice, Zante is nice (I like Kalamaki), Corfu (Roda and Gouvia).

Menorca is often recommended for being family friendly.

smurfgirl Tue 09-Jun-09 15:12:53

Please excuse my rubbish replies today am typing and watching TV.

I meant - most popular holiday spots are very warm in the summer holidays, sorry for not being clear.

Leslaki Thu 11-Jun-09 19:40:17

here here! I went last year with my (then 5 and 6 yo Dcs. It is fantastic - we're going back this year! Fly in to venice (marco Polo) and then get the local bus (coach really - you can get timetables online but they're about every 20 mins or so) which stops directly outside campsite. Drivers help with luggage (amazing!!). campsite staff took us to our mobile home on a golf buggy which the DCs loved! We didn't need a car at all as the campsite and beach has everything we need - and the restuarant was great! We did go to venice and into caorle (nearest 'big' town) which had a water park. The nearest town is a 5 min walk through a pine wood (there are paths!) and it was lovely with lots of retauarnts. Really child friendly and last eyar (with canvas) there were other single mums there too! Foodwise there is a supermarket on site (sells the BEST homemamde pesto ever!) and you get a BBQ with your accomm. If you go with canvas you can pay with tesco vouchers.

ellasmum1 Sun 14-Jun-09 22:53:50

I can second gouvia in Corfu. Lovely people, very relaxed about kids.Can't recommend this place enough.The lady who runs it ,Eleni, is so friendly and helpful she'll make sure you have a wonderful time!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now