Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever flown from London City airport with littlies and how did it compare with other major Ldn airports?

(9 Posts)
citronella Wed 03-Jun-09 13:20:34

I could save £££ compared to going from Heathrow for my summer flights but am lone parent with nearly 7yo and 3yo. Need to minimse travel stress grin

spicemonster Wed 03-Jun-09 13:22:16

I haven't with littlies but if I had the choice I'd jump at it like a shot! There are about 300 people in the whole of City airport - no queues for anything, all very civilised and unstressful. It's how fying ought to be I think

cestlavie Wed 03-Jun-09 13:30:49

I love City - so, so much more civilised than any other London airport. Always choose to fly from there if I can - haven't done with the kids but should be far less stressful, especially compared to Heathrow.

- Transport links and access are great - car park right next to the airport, DLR right up to the terminal so not too far to carry baggage plus kids

- Relatively quiet terminal - no long queues at check in or security for kids to get bored in or wander off from

- Plenty of places to sit - I've never not been able to find somewhere, even in the morning rush hour so good for tired little legs

- Waiting area overlooks the runway - if the kids are into planes, you get some great views of them taking off and landing

Only downside is that facilities are obviously more limited than the big airports. It's got a couple of coffee shops, a bar-restaurant and a WH Smith but none of the big chains you can use to kill time. Not that important, but worth bearing in mind.

citronella Wed 03-Jun-09 13:37:17

Thanks, sounds like a good idea then. If there are no queues then we won't have to hang around too much and if we do they will love watching the planes.

Squiffy Wed 03-Jun-09 13:44:26

Whispers <just don't tell anyone else. We don't want the hordes descending and ruining it for those of us in on the secret>

I have gone with kids from City many times - they are always the only children on the plane, and get spoilt rotten as a result.

Practical-wise, the place is probably smaller than the average bus station. There are about 16 narrow steps down to every departure lounge to negotiate, and that it the limit to the stress. From the departure lounge doors you have a walk of, ooh, maybe 10 meters to the plane steps.

Bear in mind that the planes used at City are usually much smaller than the ones from LHR. Bliss, in my opinion, but might bother anyone who has a flying phobia.

Sunshinemummy Wed 03-Jun-09 13:45:37

Another vote for City here - it's the best airport ever. Really efficient and lovely but probably best to take your own snacks with you as there sin't much choice.

citronella Wed 03-Jun-09 15:17:56

Thanks squiffy and sunshine! The dc won't be worried about the size of the plane but I might. Too late now though I gone and booked it! Have saved about £200 compared to going from LHR with BA.

citronella Wed 03-Jun-09 15:19:32

Just hope I don't get too many exasperated looks from business travellers!

TheDevilWearsPenneys Wed 03-Jun-09 15:20:40

Oh it's a brilliant airport, tiny, no hassle and so easy to get to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now