Talk

Advanced search

Aosta - Milan - Liguria - Cote d'Azur - can anyone recommend a hotel? Does not have to be child-friendly as fab Granny is looking after the Lindors

(9 Posts)
MmeLindt Mon 01-Jun-09 20:04:20

We have a week without DC in July as my parents are looking after them in Scotland. <thanks MUM>

We live near Geneva so are looking for somewhere within a couple of hours driving.

Any ideas?

MmeLindt Mon 01-Jun-09 20:50:34

bump

HeadFairy Mon 01-Jun-09 20:57:12

I don't know if mountains are what you're after, but my fil lives in Aosta and we recently went to see him at the same time my MIL was visiting the area (they are divorced, but both come from the Val D'Aosta). She stayed in a lovely hotel in Valpelline, the village is quite small, up in the mountains so it's very peaceful and lovely. It's about 20 mins down to Aosta.

The hotel itself is lovely and the staff were so friendly. They really looked after my MIL and were lovely. We went for a couple of meals up there and the food was very nice too. Nothing too chic and sophisticated though, good family run hotel.

MmeLindt Mon 01-Jun-09 21:05:44

Headfairy
We don't really know what we want to do. We like city holidays as much as relaxing in the mountains. We might stop off in Aosta for a day or two then head down towards Milan for a couple of nights.

That hotel looks lovely, thanks.

BonsoirAnna Mon 01-Jun-09 21:06:48

The Gray in Milan is lovely smile

HeadFairy Mon 01-Jun-09 21:09:36

Aosta is quite sweet, but not really worth more than a couple of days. It's quite small. Sounds like a good plan to head off somewhere else afterwards. I've never stayed there as my mum and dad live near to Nice, but I've always liked San Remo, it has quite a nice vibe to it. It's only a couple of hours down the autostrada from Aosta so perhaps you could do a day or two in the mountains and then on to the Riviera. I'm not so keen on Milan or Turin, not very pretty cities IMO, and I do like a pretty city.

MmeLindt Mon 01-Jun-09 21:19:12

Anna
The Gray looks fab, but a bit out of our price range. I want to have some money left for the shopping in Milan.

Headfairy
Will check out San Remo. I am thinking of shopping in Milan, although we will have just been in UK so might have done all my shopping there <rubs hands at the thought of the weak pound to the Euro>

blueballoons Mon 01-Jun-09 21:26:58

The cenobio dei dogi is fantastic. Its in Camogli, a pretty little fishing village near Portofino. Lots of walks in the hills, or boat rides to Portofino or Santa Margarita Ligure, or just hang out by the pool.

http://www.cenobio.it/

MmeLindt Mon 01-Jun-09 21:38:04

Oh, that looks lovely too.

We are going to have to get Granny to keep the DC for another week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now