Talk

Advanced search

Holidaying in Turkey

(15 Posts)
hillbilly Fri 22-May-09 15:11:02

Any recommendations for a reasonably priced villa holiday on any part of the coast? We want to go in August and there needs to be 2 bedrooms.

Thanks!

nicolasmum Fri 22-May-09 22:04:08

Have a look at www.tomsanokaliptus.com Akyaka is a small, safe and friendly seaside resort about 1 hour from Dalaman airport. The babysitter at these apartments/villas is English,married and lives in the village, childcare qualified and has a GB police check and is highly reccomended.

hillbilly Sat 23-May-09 06:37:34

Thanks nicolasmum!

kylesmyloveheart Mon 08-Jun-09 22:23:50

have you stayed there nicolasmum?

nicolasmum Tue 09-Jun-09 20:48:03

I haven't but know lots of people that have.Very well recomended, friendly owners and central for the village. 10 min walk to beach and less than 5 mins to the river where there are ducks and geece to feed. Have a look at www.akyaka.com then go on forum.We go to Akyaka a lot so if you need anymore info just ask......i'm going on Tues[16th]

BodenGroupie Mon 15-Jun-09 14:53:36

Yalikavak (about an hour from Bodrum) - best Turkish holiday I've had. Fantastic market once a week, excellent restaurants, good shops. Stayed in a hotel, though, so not much help!

Blu Mon 15-Jun-09 14:57:49

This company have reasonably priced apartments in Yalikavak.

BodenGroupie - is it a quiet place? or a busy resort?

Blu Mon 15-Jun-09 14:58:45

Sorry - didn't add link! rental accommodation in yalakavak

BodenGroupie Mon 15-Jun-09 15:24:00

It's perfect! Quiet and small but not dead - no discos but a few lovely bars, really good choice of restaurants, very friendly. They'd just finished building a marina when we were there two years ago and the shops around had just started opening - lots of Euro type brands at good prices. Beach wasn't the best but certainly not bad and most places had pools.

Apparently they are determined to keep it upmarket - they're trying to learn from Bodrum's mistakes, not that Bodrum is the worst place I've been!

Blu Mon 15-Jun-09 15:33:11

OK , thanks.

We are probably off to somewhere on the Bodrum peninsula, and want somewhere with lost of local atmosphere..has it got a Turkish feel, or Euro-upmarket? Are there other nice beaches in the area?

BodenGroupie Mon 15-Jun-09 16:12:42

We didn't have a car so didn't explore. I would say upmarket Turkish without the bad bits (ie loos!) with the added attraction (for me) of some good shops. Lots of traditional type coffee shops with men smoking those hubble bubble things.

The market is the best I've been to anywhere in the world - fantastic if you like taking photos, big sacks of spices, amazing fruit and veg etc.

If there's space in your suitcase.....

Blu Mon 15-Jun-09 20:19:16

smile

Did you try the little buses?

nicolasmum Mon 15-Jun-09 20:45:39

I'm off to Akyaka tomorrow......anyone want to come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BodenGroupie Mon 15-Jun-09 22:08:05

Yes please Nicolasmum grin

Dolmus, Blu? Yes, I'm not a good passenger at the best of times but they're not as bad as some of the taxis!

Was just thinking, first time I went to Turkey the parts that were still traditionally Turkish didn't sell alcohol at all - fairly obviously, being Muslim, but things may have changed since my youth wink

Kiwinyc Wed 17-Jun-09 17:53:16

Just make sure you have air con, we were on the coast nr Bodrum in the last week of Aug last yr and it was 46 degrees every day! 38 degrees in the shade! We had air con but never again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now