Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm flying into Geneva - where shall I stay Geneva/Lausanne/other???

(8 Posts)
pickupthismess Tue 03-Feb-09 23:18:07

In a few weeks DH, me and 2 LOs are off to Geneva for a five night break. We can go in any direction when we arrive (will hire a car) but not sure whether to stay put or move on to another town. Does anyone know Switzerland quite well?

SexyLacyKnickersOnMaHead Wed 04-Feb-09 02:03:50

bump

pickupthismess Wed 04-Feb-09 11:45:20

bump bump - does anyone know interlaken?

CoffeeCrazedMama Fri 06-Feb-09 14:27:24

I don't know Geneva that well, but it is quite busy and not that 'Swiss' iykwim. I think you would be better off heading for Lac Leman (Lake Geneva). Lausanne is gorgeous, and there are lots of other lovely towns threaded along the lake. I would always look at www.tripadvisor.co.uk for accommodation.

CoffeeCrazedMama Fri 06-Feb-09 14:30:48

Just notice you've asked about Interlaken - also lovely, but for me a little touristy. I tend to go to other smaller places in that area, like the villages along either side of the two lakes (Thun and Brienzer). Anywhere you stop around there will be lovely. The Rough Guide to Switzerland (now there's a misnomer) is a very useful guide. You really can't go wrong in Switzerland - it is my favorite place in the world. Try www.myswitzerland.com too.

pickupthismess Sat 07-Feb-09 20:56:48

Thanks coffee - that's really helpful.

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Sun 15-Feb-09 18:22:53

If you stay in Lausanne, you can take the ferry across to Evian in France (takes approx 35-40 minutes) which is worth a short visit (there is a market on thursday morning) and you can also take a boat to Yvoire which is a beautiful example of a french medieval town (cars are banned from the centre iirc). Alongside of Lac Leman on the Swiss side, I would recommend visiting Chillon Castle, Montreux (DS1 took his first steps there which was caught on camera by local tv crew ).

StayingZen Mon 23-Feb-09 09:56:57

Near Geneva: see you will have a car, in which case the centre of Geneva is not good! Try out in France, e.g. Divonne-les-Bains, Gex. I have stayed at an Homair Vacance campsite at Divonne, about 1/2 hour drive from Geneva - caravan was around 350 euro a week in August, but check when they open, and it will get cold at night, as it's quite high up in the Jura. Spectacular views of the Alps across the lake, outdoor swimming pool and tennis, and they speak English.

If you're going near Interlaken, consider the open-air museum at Ballenberg, reconstructed houses, craft demonstrations, etc. We stayed within walking distance in Brienz in a holiday apartment - can't remember the price but quite reasonable for Switzerland.

Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now