Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hotel near Calais (small town? 30mins-ish away)-any recommendations

(6 Posts)
sharmck Fri 23-Jan-09 12:55:48

Hi We're travelling back from La Rochelle and want to break our journey (two dds will be caged animals by then!) within spitting distance of Calais for eurotunnel. Have in mind a characterful place in a nice town where we can wander before bed. Any recommendations for good hotels/B&B or even which are the nice towns there so I can look up hotels (Thinking of for eg St Omer, Cap Griz - don't know France that well) x

mumof2222222222222222boys Fri 23-Jan-09 13:02:05

Boulogne? We spent a weekend there a couple of years back. Lovely town - compared with Calais. And there is a fabulous aquarium.

slug Fri 23-Jan-09 13:30:52

Wimereux. It's between Bologune and Calais. A slightly faded Edwardian resort with a beautiful waterfront and, when the tide's out, a huge beach. Info here hotels I particularly liked this one

Skimummy Fri 23-Jan-09 15:14:24

Agree with Wimereux - very nice! Also, we spent two weeks in Le Touquet over Christmas and it is also lovely. Lots of child-friendly walks, shops and restaurants. I imagine it is mad over summer but winter is very relaxed. Have fun!

Leslaki Fri 23-Jan-09 18:00:25

I'll second Boulogne - lovely old town and busy new town with good shops etc. Some great restuarants - bt avoid the mexican. We stayed at the Hotel faidherbe as it was cheap but it was convenent, central and clean!!! Didn't bother with breakfast - just had fresh croissants in a cafe! Sitting outside - in Oct!

sharmck Tue 27-Jan-09 10:07:46

Thanks everyone for those tips. I really like the look of Wimereux (not too big as we'll only have a short time, nice beach, a front to wander on). Boulogne looked good (aquarium etc) but too big I think for the time we've got. Booking the whole thing today!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now