Talk

Advanced search

realcostofholidaytosouthoffrance

(4 Posts)
solanum Fri 09-Jan-09 02:02:55

How much do you pay to go on holiday to France in August for two weeks, including car hire, flights(I do not do journeys that long by car abroad)and accommodation in a comfortable,not necessarily luxury,gite with a swimming pool,shared or non shared? I have seen budgetflights available at present for about £700on average for a group of four,but I'd liketoknow what people are paying .Most gites I 've found available that seem nice enough are about £800 -£900per week, which makes the overall cost high when Ithink about car hire- car big enough for 4 cases.When I say south of France, I mean southern languedoc,or possible Provence, although flights seem moreto Provenc area and accommodation getsmoreexpensiveforless space, unless you are about an hour's drive from the coast.

PuzzleRocks Fri 09-Jan-09 16:21:05

Bumping for you.

aznerak Fri 09-Jan-09 19:17:30

Flights seem reasonable for the school hols. A way of bringing the property price down is to get a bigger place and go with friends/family so you can share the costs.

For example, if you are looking at £800-£900 for a 2 bedroom gite, then you could go for a 4 bedroom villa for say £1200 and then go with another family or some relatives and split the cost in half, so the villa would cost each family £600 instead of £800-£900, saving you £200-£300 which would then cover the bulk of the car hire.

Languedoc is definitely cheaper than Provence and Cote d'Azur. My family have a property in the Languedoc so we know it well and if you want to know anything about the area, do ask!

solanum Fri 09-Jan-09 20:45:14

Holiday is not with friends /others etc.
Car hire costs are coming in at an average of £500- £600.

However, houses in UK are also on average £800 per week( and standards in UK aften are lower than gites in my experience which I why in UK I would not go for the really cheap cottages )and the weather last summer here was rubbish all summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now