Talk

Advanced search

mosschops tries again HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE ALGARVE OR KEFALONIA ??????

(20 Posts)
mosschops30 Tue 14-Oct-08 14:01:53

Please give me your opinions, looking at Skala or Lassi in Kefalonia.
And Balaia or Praia do Oura in Algarve.

Will be going May, not sure about weather then either

TIA smile

TheyCallMeStacey Tue 14-Oct-08 14:06:19

Hi mosschops, we have been to the Algarve twice, Vilamoura and Dunas Douradas, staying in villas both times.
Would highly recommend Algarve for families, loads of good restaurants, gorgeous beaches, easy to get around.
Haven't been to Kefalonia, sorry!
First time to Algarve was May half term, crap weather, rain, cold, but that was probably a bit unusual. This year we went end of July and weather was great.

bythepowerofgreyskull Tue 14-Oct-08 14:08:53

we have stayed here fantastic very family friendly would love to go again. smile

PinkTulips Tue 14-Oct-08 14:17:33

algarve is absolutely beautiful. there are some lovely seaside towns that aren't madly touristy but still cater for family holidays really well... we stayed in albufeira (sp?) a few times and fell in love with the place.

the beaches are gorgeous and if you hire a car there are some lovely places to go see like visiting Lagos or going to some of the waterparks. you can even do trips to morocco although i never got round to it.

beaches are well catered.... lots of little bars and coffee shops and usually enough parking.

restaurants are unbelievable for the most park... best fish you'll ever have and service tends to be excellant

mosschops30 Tue 14-Oct-08 14:26:37

looks lovely greyskull, but waaay out of our price range. We usually pay £1,500-£2000 for our two week family holiday.

pinktulips is albufera nice then. I just imagine it to be a bit like magaluf or somewhere when people talk about 'the strip'. Praia do Oura is within walking distance i think

bythepowerofgreyskull Tue 14-Oct-08 14:32:22

MossChops there are 3 other forms of accomodation in the area this is the site for the group. smile

vinhotinto Tue 14-Oct-08 14:35:42

Not been to Kefalonia but am a regular to Algarve.

Beaches are great, not that big in area so if hiring a car, can visit all sorts of places, good for families.

Not over keen on Albufeira although the old town is better than the strip, depends what you are looking for though. We prefer the western end around Lagos.

Weather in May is usually good although it wasn't great this year, that was fairly unusual.

Nbg Tue 14-Oct-08 14:42:00

I've been to Skala twice.
Its absolutely gorgeous.

I've been trying to book for us to go next summer but not getting the price near our budget.

Its a pretty smallish town but has plenty of restuarants and shops, lovely beach, easy access to other towns and friendly locals.

Don't really know what else to tell you other than its gorgeous grin

MurderAtTheDiscoDizzy Tue 14-Oct-08 14:47:37

We've been algarve, tis lovely, very nice for families.

Helennn Tue 14-Oct-08 14:48:20

We went to Skala in May this year. Loved it, lovely island, very natural still, (Skala itself is a bit of a resort but very nice). If you get off the main roads you can go along un-made tracks, (thinking Skala to Poros if any-one been there), absolutely stunning and didn't see another car at all for about 45 minutes. Another day we went whole length of island and passed about 2 cars.

Weather from mid May started off OK, some good days, little bit of rain, (good days for exploring). It then got hotter and hotter, we left about 22nd May and it was hot enough to bear, ideal for children and mums who like to sun-bathe as well.

Not been to Algarve, (dh came back from there yesterday from playing golf envy).

bellavita Tue 14-Oct-08 15:01:38

mosschops30 - we have been here in Portugal was really lovely.

We stopped in the hotel, but they also do villas and apartments.

mosschops30 Tue 14-Oct-08 16:05:45

greyskull, where are they exactly? site not that easy to navigate, have to go into each property and doesnt say where they are unless its just me being crap (probably wink)

Skala was my preferred choice in Kefalonia, the hotel/apts ive seen have a very good report on tripadvisor and holidays uncovered.

But thumbs up from all of you for Algarve too.

We like to stay in apts so we can eat out every night, we like local cusine and dont like places that are full of english restaurants/bars etc. I like to be by the pool all day but dh likes the beach so we do try and mix it. ds and dd like nighttime entertainment at the complex, and we enjoy some peace just having a drink together. Im worried that Kefalonia doesnt seem to offer this, the complexes are much smaller and doent seem to have any entertainment on. The Algarve does offer this though.

JuliaL Wed 15-Oct-08 10:44:18

Mosschops30 you are right. Kefalonia will not offer the kind of organised entertainment you seek. I wouldn't recommend Lassi - just a strip resort either side of a busy road close to the airport. Skala is lovely, Kefalonia stunning, but probably a different kind of holiday from that you seek.

mosschops30 Wed 15-Oct-08 14:01:35

Me and dh talked about it last night, and although love the idea of idyllic Kefalonia, we have to think of the kids as its their holiday as well, and as you know when the kids are happy, then we're happy too grin

Think I have settled on holiday village in Balaia, the one in Praia do Oura has a bowling green and a lot of its timeshare which makes me thinks it will be full of wrinklies wink

So if anyone's been to Balaia in the Algarve, or knows where we can get cheap car hire from (is it best to book before you go or when youre there) that would be great. Thanks for all your help and advice smile

bellavita Wed 15-Oct-08 22:08:30

hey mosschops - we are timeshare owners grin

<<<<checks her and DH for extra wrinkles>>>>

debbiewebweb Wed 15-Oct-08 22:57:34

We've been to kefalonia and the Algarve. Both are fab - both on our list of favourite holidays. If it was decision between the two right now I'd pick the Algarve - shorter flight time for young children and more choice of accomodation / resorts etc. Should enjoy either and am really jealous.

Yorkiegirl Wed 15-Oct-08 23:00:53

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Thu 16-Oct-08 10:54:37

Lol no offence meant smile i just didnt want to be scowled at by old folks in their 60's and 70's everytime ds screams or drops his ice cream on the floor etc.

BlueTwo Fri 17-Oct-08 21:43:51

Hello - we went to the holiday village in Balaia this year in June and also last year before it became a holiday village (if you mean the First Choice one). We loved it both times - we went self catering with two small and very active kids and had a great time. We found loads of places to eat out, and as DH doesn't like coach transfers, we hired a car each time from the airport - we used Economy Car Hire. All booked through the website, and we had brand new cars both times, and were upgraded. Hope you have a lovely time - I'm sure the kids will.

Ruthiebabes Sat 18-Oct-08 22:10:30

We love Algarve, in particular Lagos. Check out vilabrance apartments. Never been in May, but always had great weather in June.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now