Talk

Advanced search

Greek Island - where to go for unspoilt non touristy holiday?

(23 Posts)
katz Sat 11-Oct-08 17:45:55

whicb island are best for a weeks on touristy unspoilt destination?

ForeverOptimistic Sat 11-Oct-08 17:56:16

Ithacia (sp?)

Paradise. smile

katz Sat 11-Oct-08 17:57:24

will go have a look

nooOOOoonki Sat 11-Oct-08 18:16:51

thassos - v quiet and lovely (apart from one town so ask to avoid that!)

TaLcSfromtheCrYpT2 Sat 11-Oct-08 18:18:18

Molyvos on Lesbos....bliss!

Carmenere Sat 11-Oct-08 18:18:50

Loutro on Crete.

katz Sat 11-Oct-08 18:29:14

thank you keep them coming, now going to look for villas!

Hassled Sat 11-Oct-08 18:31:58

Not an Island but part of the Pelopponese - the Mani peninsula near Kalamata. Absolutely beautiful, and not touristy. It's an easy (as in straightforward) 3 hour drive from Athens.

Tiramissu Sat 11-Oct-08 18:57:06

I ve lived in Greece and i am quarter Greek, so:

- I agree about Ithacia

- Thassos, not my favourite island plus no history/culture

-Mani, not island and not v. mediterrean feeling but very interesting place (and interesting history and culture)Just dont upset or offend anyone there lol

- Lesbos, not unspoilt

-Crete, is big island so you can find very cosmopolitan places or very very quite villages or traditional ones like Sfakia (fab culture especially music and 'mantinades')

- I will add Skiathos and Skopellos both very beutiful close to each other. If you want a bit of travelling then you can combine this with a weekend in mainland's Pilion, fab place
Hope this help

nappyaddict Sat 11-Oct-08 19:00:43

Andros

changer22 Sat 11-Oct-08 19:03:28

I've only been to Spetses but I thought that was beautiful. We were there years ago (it may have changed) in May and it was really quiet but warm. We did notice as we left that the boats coming in seemed to be busier so maybe we just got the timing right.

Tiramissu Sat 11-Oct-08 19:03:49

Oh yes Andros is good too

Pannacotta Sat 11-Oct-08 19:07:10

I also liked Thassos - lovely beaches. Skiathos is beautiful but not at all unspoilt, it is very touristy, I have been there three times so know it quite well.
Ithica is meant to be lovely, Keflaonia 15 years ago was gorgeous though I gather less so now.
I think Paxos looks good, as well as Hydra and Skopelos.
A good rule is that islands with no airport tend to be less touristy.

TaLcSfromtheCrYpT2 Sat 11-Oct-08 19:07:52

lol....is lesbos spoilt now?
Forgot to mention i last went in 1987blush

nobodysghoul Sat 11-Oct-08 19:09:31

We stayed here for our honeymoon 7 years ago.
Beautiful island.Lovely people.Would recommend in a heartbeat.

thegrowlygus Sat 11-Oct-08 19:09:39

I adored Kefalonia - but that was about 10 years ago. Went back about 5 years ago and it was still lovely although Captain Corelli's Mandolin was on sale on every corner.

Heard great things about Ithaca too.

Now I want to go to a greek island!

nobodysghoul Sat 11-Oct-08 19:10:03

Sorry meant to say it's in Kefalonia.

katz Sat 11-Oct-08 19:14:19

thanks will give them all some thought.

We like going on holiday to experience different cultures, eat the local food and avoid anywhere with egg and chip resturants and pub with 24 7 footie!

this year we went to the czech republic and stayed in a beautiful house in the hills in the middle of know-where, was fab.

Tiramissu Sat 11-Oct-08 19:14:22

Lol TalcSfromtheCrYpT2. 20 years make difference

Tiramissu Sat 11-Oct-08 19:15:27

OP you now make us all so excited and so envy

serin Sat 11-Oct-08 19:44:00

Have been to Paxos (about 12years ago) and it was beautiful at that time, very unspoilt and very quiet, lots of little greek kids fishing off the jetty.

Bought some lovely silver jewellery that is still untarnished.

Very friendly locals, reminded me of the Scilly isles but with better weather.

SweetApril Sat 11-Oct-08 22:08:04

I guess it depends what you mean by unspoilt. I think Lesvos is relatively unspoilt. Just got back last week and have been going there for last 15 years and absolutely love it. Agree that Molyvos is lovely, as is Petra. They are both "working" Greek villages and not just set up for tourism. There are a few parts of the island which are more like that (Anaxos, Skala Kalloni, Skala Eressos) but they are still nice places. You won't find the noisy, clubbing, Brits abroad kind of tourism at all.

Downside - beaches aren't great (not being of the soft white sand variety)

Really good idea to hire a car and explore a bit.

katz Sat 11-Oct-08 22:10:50

sweetapril-that sounds like what we want, typical greek not tourism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now