Talk

Advanced search

Where to stay in Dublin?

(5 Posts)
Clockface Tue 23-Sep-08 10:57:53

Hello!

Dh and I are going to a wedding in Ireland in Oct and this may sound a bit odd but we are flying into Dublin, travelling by train the next day to Cork (which yes, we know, has an international airport!) smile going to the wedding in Cork, train back to Dublin the next day and then home.

So we are staying in Dublin for 2 separate nights with a night in Cork in between. It is dh's birthday on the day that we fly in to Dublin, so we want to make the most of it and do something nice, go out for a nice meal or summat.

We don't know Dublin at all so I was wondering whether any Irish / well-travelled MNers might know where might be good to stay (or any good restaurants). Or which parts of the city would be best to base ourselves in.

tia!

happysoandso Tue 23-Sep-08 12:44:55

clockface - the irish tourist board books accommodation ranging from something like £15 pp per night for a bb, i did that on one visit yet the hotel we chose was a bit far out, next time we went though an operator and got a good location temple bar area - walking disctance to the bars , restuarants and to shops etc. i can recommend that area as being a good central local.

whooosh Tue 23-Sep-08 12:51:34

We are staying here in Feb for a firend's 40th.They did a much better deal on the rate when we contacted them directly.

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Tue 23-Sep-08 17:38:49

We stayed here when we went over to Dublin in June.

Lovely friendly hotel, very central.

jb3 Wed 24-Sep-08 12:11:12

Stick to somewhere around grafton street or stephens green to stay. If you want somewhere 5 star pick the merrion or the shelbourne both great locations. Much cheaper but still nice is trinity capital hotel near trinity college. Loads of nice restaurants around there depending on budget. I could suggest loads of nice restaurants but to be honest I think youre better off asking for recommendations when you book the hotel room asking for the concierge or manager as they will know which places need to be booked in advance and you can specify your budget to narrow down the alternatives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now