Talk

Advanced search

calling all vegetarians!

(16 Posts)
LetThemEatCake Thu 18-Sep-08 23:18:47

can you tell me where you've been & what veggie-friendly foods are available on local menus?

have itchy feet and am planning a few trips, but not sure where ... the veggie thing may help me to make a choice!

saggyhairyarse Fri 19-Sep-08 21:52:09

Sri Lanka was good for veggie food! I am a meat eater but often go for the veggy option and there was loads of choice (not sure if lots of Sri Lankans being Buddhists has anything to do with it).

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Fri 19-Sep-08 21:55:51

Goa - fab veggie food . Italy (well, actually, can only speak for Milan and parts of Sardinia!) was great for veggies too.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 19-Sep-08 22:01:58

Italy was good but do look out for hidden meat (eg ham in a dish of baked vegetables in a tomato sauce hmm) -should be OK if you stick to simple pasta/tomato dishes, pizza etc.

Turkey -was surprisingly good (although this was 15+yrs ago)

Portugal this summer -lived on bread and salad apart the few times we went to Italian restaurants

France -forget it unless you want to live on goats cheese. I found that they found the concept of vegetarianism difficult to grasp.

Can't remember what it was like elsewhere

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Sep-08 22:02:57

spain is awful. at least, barcelona was. they don't get vegetarianism at all

ninja Fri 19-Sep-08 22:04:14

I second Turkey - the best veggie food I've had in Europe. Loads of Aubergine and beans and feta-type cheese yum yum

janeite Fri 19-Sep-08 22:05:04

Greece was fine. Lots of salads, stuffed peppers, vegetable souvlaki (kebab things), pasta, pizzas, vege casserole things, hoummus, aubergine dip etc.

stleger Fri 19-Sep-08 22:14:43

Turkey amazingly good, Greece fine, Italy disappointing!

DadInsteadofMum Sat 20-Sep-08 21:43:00

In the US you are OK if you are on either seaboard (and San Fran is fantastic), but if you are in the big cities then you will have to hunt, other wise in smaller towns vegetarianism = communism

suwoo Sat 20-Sep-08 21:56:01

I found Florida, quite difficult for low fat veggie. I second Sri Lanka, particularly good if you are fond of dahl like me <<dahl for breakfast anyone?>> My parents emigrated to France this summer, I'm sure my dad did it to piss me off as the carnivore/chef in him has always hated me being veggie. I eat a lot of pizza over there wink.

BroccoliSpears Sat 20-Sep-08 22:02:02

Portugal was difficult.
Turkey was great.
Italy fab.
Germany okay.
France forget it unless you're self catering in which case fresh bread, good salad and tomatos and French cheese... orgasmic.

suwoo Sat 20-Sep-08 22:05:56

I don't remember Portugal being difficult. Anywhere is fine if you are self catering and like omlette, cheese toasties and pizza IME.
<<disclaimer, I don't eat like that at home but by god I enjoy slumming it on holiday>>

Spidermama Sat 20-Sep-08 22:07:54

France was bad.

Wherever you go, learn off by heart and practise that country's language for, 'I am vegetarian. I don't eat any meat or any producty of meat. Nothing with meat juice ....' etc.

Spidermama Sat 20-Sep-08 22:10:45

I remember my mantra ....
'Moi je suis vegetarian. Je ne jamais mange viande, ou juis de viande...etc

Apologies to any real French speakers.

Chaotica Sat 20-Sep-08 22:11:42

Turkey great (as many others said)
Greece good
Bulgaria good
Croatia good
(Do you see a Balkan cooking theme developing here??)

Prague OK
Apparently Budapest has a good couple of veggie restaurants (but northern eastern europe otherwise terrible)
France useless unless you like omelette and chips (all the time)

ninja Sun 21-Sep-08 10:30:41

Yes Croatia good as well - italian influence -was tasty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now