Talk

Advanced search

Help me find somewhere to stay in Amsterdam, I am too stupid to do it on my own

(16 Posts)
phdlife Thu 18-Sep-08 21:20:46

I have been looking at 900 websites for the past week and it's doing my head in as I can't seem to make head nor tail of, well, anything. (ds is cutting premolars, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

For 2 nights (7-9 Dec), me, dh and ds (17m) want:
NOT in the centre of town
breakfast included
prefer a bath

Cammelia Thu 18-Sep-08 21:24:05

Amstel Intercontinental is very good.

phdlife Thu 18-Sep-08 21:28:34

thank you

cremolafoam Thu 18-Sep-08 21:34:52

we stayed on a barge with dd which was lovely
booked with citymundo
why not in town?

Other places outside of town include Ouderkerk aan de Amstel here perhaps

pickie Thu 18-Sep-08 21:41:19

see if you can find one in the Jordaan which is really nice and still walking distance from heart of city.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

phdlife Thu 18-Sep-08 21:42:42

well - please correct me if I'm wrong - but seen a few reviews which suggested staying in centre of town was v noisy. We're not Leidesplein people iykwim, and with ds teething we're having enough trouble sleeping as it is, so thought we'd prefer somewhere a little further out. (Not miles away, just not Dam Square). Or have I got wrong end fo stick?

pickie Thu 18-Sep-08 21:46:22

Not sure what your budget is but there is a Hotel called hotel l'europe which is very very nice and further down that road are 2 or 3 more 3 and 4 star hotels which are all in good walking distance of the shops but all out of the night life routes...

cremolafoam Thu 18-Sep-08 21:50:40

lots of pretty residential areas which are easy walking distance from city centre and shops
for example near the Norderkerk at the top end of Prinsengracht or the Jordaan
or down near the Concertgebowe

phdlife Thu 18-Sep-08 21:52:15

someone else said we should stay near the Vondelpark

anyone know of a site that lets you search by area/location?

cremolafoam Thu 18-Sep-08 21:56:50

this is the area i mean
here

LynetteScavo Thu 18-Sep-08 21:57:19

I stayed at the Pulitzer

It is central, but I can reccomend it, as being in a nice area.

missblythe Thu 18-Sep-08 21:57:24

Lots of apartments to rent here:

www.lovingamsterdam.com/Amsterdam_apartments_list.html

Might be better for sleep issues!

fymandbean Thu 18-Sep-08 22:05:39

have you looked at tripadvisor?

It is great as it is reviews by travellers of hotels, and you can really rely on the results. look for the ones that recommend "families with young children" read the reviews and book the highest ranked one! - I saw #6 in the list was good for young families and quiet but that was just on a quick scan down.

hotels in amsterdam

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Thu 18-Sep-08 22:38:21

American Hotel is close to Vondelpark but also central and quiet. We have stayed there many times with our kids when they were babies (teething or otherwise) and have never had any probs with noise etc. They are very child friendly and is lovely art deco hotel.

bluesky Fri 19-Sep-08 09:02:39

We stayed in Hotel Estherea, lovely area, next to canal, easy to walk into centre. Found it through Trip Advisor, and it was great. Would stay there again. Good restaurants nearby.

Lovely big fish tank in reception that kept my two mesmerised for ages. We only had breakfast in the hotel one morning, the other times we just wandered and found somewhere. Staff are very helpful at maps and answering questions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now