Talk

Advanced search

Somewhere to stay around santander??

(12 Posts)
serin Tue 09-Sep-08 21:23:22

We thought we might catch the ferry from Plymouth to Santander around easter time.

Would really appreciate any ideas re; where to stay, and would love to hear of anyones experiences!

Thanks smile

CostaRicanCod Tue 09-Sep-08 21:35:40

youd be mad
its a very choppy ride

serin Tue 09-Sep-08 21:42:42

Uh-Oh, How bad??

I once got seasick on the boat ride around Chester Zoo, have sailed to the Hebrides and been okay though. think i am allright on the bigger boats and the kids really want to look out for whales.

MorocconOil Tue 09-Sep-08 21:46:24

We went on holiday to 'Green Spain' a few years ago and rented a house with a company called Casas Cantabricas. The house and village we stayed in were lovely. It was quite cool and wet, even in August.

We spent a day and night in Bilbao which was a fantastic city.

We flew, so can offer no info on the choppy waters.

Cammelia Wed 10-Sep-08 20:58:05

I went on that ferry last april and it was great - we were asleep through the bay of biscay - but the sea was spectacularly calm when we went. I imagine it could get very rough if you were unlucky. We had a cabin with a balcony. We did quite a bit of travelling around: Bilbao (stayed in a fab hotel opposite the Guggenheim); Madrid (stayed opposite the Prado) and then around Castillian Spain staying in various places.

We were doing art and culture.

serin Thu 11-Sep-08 21:10:43

Thanks for your messages will look up casas cantabricas, that sounds like the sort of thing we are after.

envy at art and culture!! I would love that but the rest of the family are all way to outdoorsy!! They are thinking mountain bikes/wildlife. Did you see any dolphins cammelia?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Thu 11-Sep-08 21:11:39

It's much better apparently now they have the big ferry.

alienbump Thu 11-Sep-08 21:20:22

If you're travelling with Brittany Ferries you should be crossing on the Pont Aven which is fab - swimming pool and everything. If you can afford the Commodore Cabin it's well worth the extra money.

serin Sat 13-Sep-08 00:21:02

Swimming pool? really, wow, will be like a proper cruise!

Cammelia Sat 13-Sep-08 08:48:50

I don't think the swimming pool should be bigged up. Its tiny. More of a splash pool. We didn't use it.

Its far better to buy a Commodore Cabin with a balcony.

alienbump Sat 13-Sep-08 09:12:08

It is tiny, but about 6' deep so fine for swimming in - we cross on the Pont Aven to Brittany 4 or 5 times a year and my 3 happily spend a good hour or two in it each time. Cue much whining the one time I forgot to pack swimming bag!

puffling Sat 13-Sep-08 18:22:37

Santillana del Mar is a beautiful historical village with caves with cave ancient cave art, not far from Santander. It has a very smart parador Hotel.
We like the website toprural.com for b and b's, hotels and self catering in Spain. It's a Spanish site but will translate to English.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now