Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for the best way to do a whistle-stop tour of Europe in November please

(3 Posts)
bran Mon 08-Sep-08 20:30:44

My BIL and his family (wife, 2 kids, his MIL and SIL) live in Malaysia. They are coming to London on holiday from 18th November for about 3 weeks. They would like to see Europe (preferably France, Germany and Ireland) and some snow as well as staying in London for a bit.

I can organise the London part of the stay and I was thinking of suggesting that they do a coach tour to see some of mainland Europe. Can anyone recommend some good tour companies who would have tours happening at that time of year? Or is there a better way of touring around Europe? They are not innocents abroad but neither are they very seasoned travellers and the only European language they speak is English so I think that organising everything themselves (train tickets or driving etc) would be a lot of work and not terribly enjoyable for them.

TIA

TheRealMrsJohnSimm Tue 09-Sep-08 13:56:25

Have you thought about an Inter Rail pass? (or at least that's what they were called in the good old days!!). If I recall correctly, you can purchase different types of pass - depending on which countries you want to travel to. If they are flying into London, they could start by Euro star into Paris, I guess? No idea how they work to be honest but would be worth googling.

The only coach tours I have ever come across would be the Kontiki (I think....memory bit hazy on that one). But the only people I know who have done them are kiwis/aussies who are backpacking....so prob not what you are looking for!

bran Wed 10-Sep-08 20:08:33

I don't think a rail pass would be that great as they would still need to do so much of the organisation and planning themselves. But your rail idea is great, there are a few rail tours that leave from London so I have sent my SIL links to those. Quite a few go to various towns that have great Christmas markets which I think would be a fabulous cultural experience for people who live in the tropics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now