Talk

Advanced search

October half term

(11 Posts)
janeite Mon 01-Sep-08 19:12:49

Inspired by the "Have you booked next year's summer holiday" thread, I'm looking for inspiration for somewhere to go in October. Maybe a city break somewhere - for 3 or 4 nights? The girls are 13 and 11. Cheers!

janeite Mon 01-Sep-08 19:55:56

Pretty please? We haven't been anywhere at all except Greece and Paris, so open to suggestions.

bluesky Mon 01-Sep-08 21:39:33

My two boys enjoyed Amsterdam. We went to Anne Frank's museum, hired a pedalo type boat, went to Van Gogh Museum, which is modern and fantastic.

Really good science museum up near the station, with a great roof terrace with views. Due to rain we went into Madame Tussauds, which was actually very good.

Lovely to walk alongside the flowermarkets. And good shopping streets!

Stayed in a really good hotel called Hotel Estherea, that had hot chocolate on tap when you came in after a busy day! It was in a great location, we walked everywhere, really good restaurants close by. (i found it thru tripadvisor)

janeite Mon 01-Sep-08 21:55:01

Brilliant Bluesky - just the kind of thing I'm looking for. Museums, shopping and hot chocolate sound right up our street!

Any more from anybody please?

surreylady Mon 01-Sep-08 22:49:47

Krakow - Lovely- good price - history and easy walking City -loads of flights, Copenhagen, Oslo (but more pricey) Rome, Budapest, Vienna, Florence. I may be easily please but liked them all and have taken young children to most. Krakow was fav I think - if you go dont miss the salt mines - truly stunning - easy to get to from the centre on scheduled buses.

janeite Tue 02-Sep-08 17:58:05

Brilliant. We were chatting about Krakow over lunch and dp quite fancies it; your post has now inspired me to look into it further.

Is Barcelona good? or Budapest maybe?

surreylady Tue 02-Sep-08 21:33:19

Like both Barcelona and Budapest - found Budapest more interesting but we like the history side. Back to Krakow your Dh might find this nteresting http://www.krakow-info.com/wielicz.htm

Word Tue 02-Sep-08 21:44:17

We went to Barcelona last Oct half term. It was sunny so we managed a quick trip to the beach!

My LOs are much younger than yours, but they really enjoyed the city (especially the live statues on the Ramblas).

We stayed in a serviced apartment (we had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs). It was fabulous. Would recommend if you're interested.

janeite Tue 02-Sep-08 21:48:25

Thankyou - oh, decisions...decisions!

Word Tue 02-Sep-08 21:58:39

Janeite - if your destination isn't too important, have you tried Skyscanner ? Pick yourself a bargain!

janeite Thu 04-Sep-08 17:58:09

Sorry Word; only just seen this. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now