Talk

Advanced search

Packing - Is there a packing secret that I need to know about ??

(37 Posts)
IllegallyBrunette Mon 01-Sep-08 13:24:12

Because currently, I don't know where to start.

I have my own case, and so do the dd's, but ds's stuff is being shared between us all.

All I have done so far is open the cases and throw in stuff like swimming costumes and that is it. The I stood staring at the cases wondering what what to do next.

I am planning on packing most clothes on Friday night/Sat morning, as the kids will be at their dads then.

I feel like there should be some sort of plan.

ComeOVeneer Mon 01-Sep-08 13:27:30

For youngerones I think about a typical day and write a list of what we need. EG get up have breakfast (do you need cutlery, beakers, bottles, nappy change and dress (so wipes, nappies, sacks, clothes). entertainment - swimming stuff, books, toys etc, bathtime - toys and toiletries, then pjs. etc

I get dh to write his list and pack for him and I write a list for me, then a final list of other stuff (documents,etc cameras)

Overmydeadbody Mon 01-Sep-08 13:29:26

make a pile of clothes you think you will need. Then halve it and pack half of them. You never need as much as you think.

Other than that is depends entirely on where you're going, what you're doing and how old the kids are.

I have a list and cross things off as they go in the rucksack.

morethanyoubargainfor Mon 01-Sep-08 13:30:02

when you do finally pack, roll all teh clothes, they take up less room in the suitcase and don't get creased. It is the secret i tell you!!

Marina Mon 01-Sep-08 13:30:29

Not a stupid question, but will there be access to a hoover where you are going?

hanaflower Mon 01-Sep-08 13:31:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hanaflower Mon 01-Sep-08 13:32:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ComeOVeneer Mon 01-Sep-08 13:33:35

oh yes marina vacuum bags are great. You can also get ones that just roll to squeeze the air out. Not as effective but remove the need for a hoover at the other end to come home.

mosschops30 Mon 01-Sep-08 13:33:54

Agree with rolling the clothes, you can pack far more into small spaces and the things dont crease, i rolled all mine this year and never unpacked the iron, no need smile

IllegallyBrunette Mon 01-Sep-08 13:33:55

Have no idea about vacuum lol.

Have however just checked the weather forecast and it doesn't look that great sad

SaintGeorge Mon 01-Sep-08 13:35:28

Don't do a case for dd and one for you, share everything between the two cases.

God forbid you should lose any luggage but if 1 does go missing, at least you still all have stuff in the other.

Little stuff like undies, socks etc, - shove into all the tiny gaps.

If you are taking any towels, lay one out in the case first so half is in the bottom and the rest outside IYSWIM. Pack everything and then fold remainder of towel over the top. I find it keeps everything neater.

Marina Mon 01-Sep-08 13:36:21

I was just thinking about weight limits hanaflower, because the hoover vacuum bags are so efficient! I find the rollup ones less easy to use.
If you have to take beach towels, IB, some kind of vacuum bag will help you pack them down small.
Agree with OMDB re halving what you initially plan to take. Except for swimwear - take more. If it is not going to be baking hot you might need a couple of changes of swimsuit a day.

Marina Mon 01-Sep-08 13:38:11

SaintGeorge, that sounds very effective and old school

I have admitted to this once on MN before but...I have a holiday spreadsheet blush to make sure I pack all the bits and bobs I can't live without. Such as torch, CO monitor, smoke alarm. Mozzie repellent etc.

SaintGeorge Mon 01-Sep-08 13:40:53

Very old school Marina.

I learnt to pack from my dad grin

Clary Mon 01-Sep-08 13:40:56

I find the secret is to take a lot less than you think you might need.
DD in partic – last year I took skirts, dresses and shorts; this year 1 dress, 1 skirt and 3 shorts, even then it was masses for a 2-wk holiday (washing machine of course) – she only wore the skirt because I asked her to!

Same with me – I took 2x cut-offs, 1x shorts (for beach), 1 skirt, 1 dress; didn’t really need the dress (it was nice tho).
It all depends doesn’t it on age of kids and how hot it will be and whether you have washing machine. If older kids (ie not messy toddlers/babies), quite hot and yes have machine then you need Very Little.
I got out all the kids clothes I planned to take, then went through them and discarded lots.
We use what my dad called “grips” – holdalls? - rather than cases and I found I got al my clothes and the 2 Dss’ into one. We wore ratbag stuff for the last day before we went; I did last wash and iron on the Thurs IIRC then was able to set it out on the bed for packing on Friday.

Remember you can buy most things; essentials for me not to forget are contact lenses and glasses and solutions; nail clippers and eyebrow tweezers (annoying to have to buy again); games that we love to play that take up little room (yahtzee a big hit on hol, likewise Hama beads).

ChippyMinton Mon 01-Sep-08 13:41:20

Pack clothes that you can mix and match, in rather than individual outfits eg a skirt and 2-3 t shirts that go with it; shoes/cardi that go with everything else. Same for the DC.

Decant toiletries or buy travel sizes.

I also pile everything up then discard half. Except knickers - I take plenty of knickers lol.

Marina Mon 01-Sep-08 13:44:44

Clary, a Yahtzee pad and small bag of dice travel on my person whenever we are train/plane/boating it anywhere wink.
StGeorge, LOLOL, that's how my dad packs too.

SaintGeorge Mon 01-Sep-08 13:48:18

I sometimes take an extra case blush

We have a set of cases in reducing sizes so I put one case inside the next size up and then put the clothes inside that (weight limit allowing).

I only need two cases between the four of us, but this way I have spare room coming home for any presents/duty free etc. Plus I can be lazy and practically just throw all the (now dirty) clothes in as there is all that extra room.

Blame my dad again for that one!

IllegallyBrunette Mon 01-Sep-08 13:59:01

Thanks guys.

Think I may need to drastically reduce what dd2 is taking, as she has loads.

I haven't actually decided what I am taking.

Clary Mon 01-Sep-08 14:05:09

Marina lol @ Yahtzee on yr person.

Oh yes shoes – don’t take any! I took for 2 weeks: walking boots, running shoes (essential for me but not everybody) and then one pair of beach flipflops and two other pairs of “nice” shoes. So if you were going to laze by the pool in the hot sun all day I would literally take flip flops and one smartish pair.

I don’t take a CO alarm with me tho <worries>

JuneBugJen Mon 01-Sep-08 14:06:45

Take a cloth laundry bag... so useful to chuck dirty clothes in as you go along so there is no sorting at the other end.

ComeOVeneer Mon 01-Sep-08 14:16:05

Yes I am seriously organised when it comes to packing but shoes are my downfall (I am addicted to shoes as it is).

I took 18 pairs with me on honeymoon (we went to the maldives, to a small island and basically lived on the beach). blush

BreeVanderCampLGJ Mon 01-Sep-08 14:19:51

The secret to packing is my DH, he is a great packer, I can hire him out and my rates are reasonable. grin

JFly Mon 01-Sep-08 14:34:47

I like to use giant zip loc bags, epecially for kids/babies clothes. They work almost as well as those vaccum bags. Just pack them full and then squeeze out the air before you seal. Great for storing wet swimsuits etc whilst away, too.

laughalot Mon 01-Sep-08 14:40:12

Roll everything up it gives you more space and things dont crease I never believed it till I tried.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now