Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have experince of taking a large pushchair (e.g. 3 wheeler - mountain buggy) on a plane?

(11 Posts)
thechocolatecat Tue 26-Aug-08 21:09:27

Hi - I'm new here. We're going on holiday soon, flying with Flybe and Air France, and planning on taking a mountain buggy urban. Does anyone know if I'll be allowed to take it up to the door of the plane? I'm also worried they might try and charge for it?

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 21:17:36

I have flown with MB Twin and P&T both in travel bags.

MB was with BA to USA so to the door, we folded and bagged they took down.
Met at the plane door with it damaged!

P&T was Alitalia / Aeroflot and Ryanair and each time we checked it in and used a sling. It arrived with other bags.

Taking the rear wheels off and putting inside once at the check in desk prevent damage.

BirdyArms Tue 26-Aug-08 21:17:43

You will be fine. I have taken a phil and teds, maybe not quite as big but only folds down into 2 pieces (I tried to take parcel tape to fasten it together but had it confiscated!). You will be able to take it to the gate but very likely you won't get it back until the baggage reclaim at the other side. Pretty sure they won't charge you for it.

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 21:24:39

Do buy the travel bag they are worth the price, as the areas most likely to be damaged are the seats, hood and straps, the P&T bag has prevented damage and has at last count 16 first layer tears in it, most where seat/fabric frame are.

Also keeps additional items clean like blankets/toys/raincover etc. the Travel bags are roomy in spaces.

thechocolatecat Tue 26-Aug-08 21:24:49

Thanks for replying. - hadn't thought they might confiscate packing tape!
I had a look at travel bags, but was a bit shocked at how much they cost - does anyone know if a mountian buggy would fit in the P&T travel bag?

LenniEd Tue 26-Aug-08 21:25:09

Have taken our MB to Crete, Italy, Majorca, Germany.... etc etc (well travelled baby grin)

No problems with damage - always put it in a travel bag though and took the wheels off and stowed them away in the basket. Always able to take it to the gate, but didn't always get it back until baggage reclaim. More of a problem when flying home than out since UK aurports seem to be so much slower at getting the bags off. Have a plan for how you'll manage the baby and hand luggage for the long walk to arrivals and poss a half hour wait when you get there - I always take a wrap sling with me in hand luggage, but then I like my slings...

And never been charged - think all airlines will carry a pushchair for free, even Jet2 carried ours and they charged for our (much lighter and less cumbersome) bags.

Have a lovely holiday.

thechocolatecat Tue 26-Aug-08 21:33:34

I will probably take a hip-carrier sling in hand luggage.... although my little one isn't a very sling-happy baby, so won't last for long in there - especially if she's tired.

MatNanPlus Tue 26-Aug-08 22:33:05

TCC best to buy bag for your pram, have you checked eBay?

The are worth their cost tho get a padded one as earlier models where really just fabric.

Catper33 Wed 27-Aug-08 01:13:24

Hi

We have taken our MB Urban but have always had to check it in with our other luggage. This has not been in the UK though, so judging by the previous posts you may be OK there. As the Travel Bags were so expensive we decided to wrap ours in bubble wrap/plastic which has always been fine.

Check with the airline about it being free as they are all different.

Enjoy your trip.

quinne Wed 27-Aug-08 22:04:09

we took our double (side by side) MB several times on planes and never had a problem out of the UK.

Had a problem a couple of times on the way back in to Britain thanks to UK health and safety regs which said that Servisair staff couldn't lift a buggy out of the plane and bring it to the plane door. (They explained it might hurt the back of one of the baggage handlers who may not be used to lifting heavy things! <<notice their is no sarcasm emotion to paste here>>

The long walk to the baggage reclaim at Gatwick is not much fun with two sleeping children and four bags plus coats etc.

thechocolatecat Wed 03-Sep-08 16:37:55

Thank you very much to everyone who offered advice. I've bought a second hand mountain buggy travel bag from ebay, and will be taking a sling in hand luggage.
We're all looking forward to our holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now