Talk

Advanced search

I've been working all day and I'm bored and dreaming about next year's holiday - where have you been that you think I should go?

(25 Posts)
Gobbledigook Mon 25-Aug-08 18:25:41

Already had excellent suggestion of Sani Hotel in Halkidiki but I think we would struggle to get a room to accommodate the 5 of us.

Anyone had a fab holiday they would thoroughly recommend - the boys will be 8, 6 and almost 5.

moondog Mon 25-Aug-08 18:28:05

Where have you just been?

Turkey is fantastic.

Also Morocco which is incredibly exotic and chap and friendly. Loved it.

Had a great time in Ireland last year but very expensive.

Gobbledigook Mon 25-Aug-08 18:29:58

Just been to Lanzarote - not most cultured of holidays but we had our own villa and pool so it was just a nice chill out and it was nice to see the sun!

I LOVE Turkey - Twig is there now, where I've been before. Know of any fabbo hotels?

Soapbox Mon 25-Aug-08 18:30:19

I'm seriously tempted by this villa in Corsica for next year.

herbietea Mon 25-Aug-08 18:32:09

Message withdrawn

Gobbledigook Mon 25-Aug-08 18:32:35

Wow, well that villa is lovely but at around £1000 per person and then flights on top it's out of my budget, that's for sure!

ARe you going to go? THe pool is to die for!

Soapbox Mon 25-Aug-08 18:33:53

The price includes flights but it is still pretty expensive unless you can find another family to share with.

moondog Mon 25-Aug-08 18:34:18

I gather Canaries are v nice actually.
Never been.

I know lots of nice places in Turkey but prob. not where you want to go! i would imagine with 3 kids you want quite abit laid on.

We did a week all inclusive a couple of years ago in Side to escape eastern Turkish winter. Very cheap as booked in Turkey. I never do that kind of holiday usually but v pleasantly surprised. Loads on. about 5 pools, lovely beach, great food, the works.

Gobbledigook Mon 25-Aug-08 18:34:53

herbie - my dh is not keen on Turkey either - not even sure why. Probably some ridiculously inaccurate perception he has of it.

We went to Playa Blanca and stayed here villa

Weather was spot on and Playa Flamingo was nice. Thought main part of Playa Blanca was a bit tacky and commercial so didn't go there much.

TBH, we stayed at the villa for most of the time, mostly only venturing out in eve for meals.

moondog Mon 25-Aug-08 18:36:08

I'd do a house swap.
Idid one with Countess Dracula (London/Wales)and it was great. Iamconverted now and if you check out websites you will see that countless people in exotic places want to visit GB.

www.homeexchange.com

Makes so much snese with kids too.

SqueakyPop Mon 25-Aug-08 18:36:26

We have just been to Paris (3 days) and a week in the newest Centerparcs in France. It was pretty good, and I would recommend it if you like that sort of holiday. I liked that the driving was minimal.

Next year, we are looking at going to Canada and the USA, partly to visit relatives, and also to get great value at a luxury American family resort.

Gobbledigook Mon 25-Aug-08 18:36:32

MD - we have never done a holiday where there is stuff 'laid on'. See previous post re villa - that's what we usually do.

However, Malory has almost persuaded me that a hotel with stuff on is actually quite good - I might try it for a change. It would be good not to have to think about meals.

moondog Mon 25-Aug-08 18:37:55

That look nice.
All my kids ever want to do is swim, swim swim. Have been in Bangladesh for 6 weeks now and they have done so every day for about 4 hours.

Soapbox Mon 25-Aug-08 18:39:49

If you want something with a bit more activities and don't mind the US, the place we went to this year was fab. lake naomi. We had a fab time, cycling, kayaking, swimming, walking etc. Had a lake house and then used the community swimming pools/clubhouse etc.

moondog Mon 25-Aug-08 18:40:11

Isee hols. as having different functions. Dh and Iare usually gung ho independent types, seeing what we fancy when we get there anddrifting about but a lot to be said for being waited on occasionally.

I have really enjoyed it this summer. haven't cooked a thing for entire time.

nicolasmum Mon 25-Aug-08 20:46:06

We love Turkey, cheap and very friendly people that love children. Akyaka is very quiet, sandy beach[blue flag] shallow seas. Not too many holiday companies go so not too many brits. Yucelen hotel is on the beach, Anatolian Sky go but might be cheaper to book direct or H4U go in the village. As an added bonus there is an english 33yr old, qualified, first aid, GB police check, loads of experience, speaks fluent Turkish living in the village who offers babysitting both in the day or evening so you can enjoy an excursion or meal in peace!!! Look at www.akyaka.com for more information.

puffling Mon 25-Aug-08 21:58:19

Are you on holiday in Bangladesh or there for another purpose? I had a friend with family from there and wondered if I'd like to go.

R2G Tue 26-Aug-08 13:22:16

Hi

You should go here

Villa that sleeps five (3 villas available to go with friends)
5* Crowne plaza Luxury resort in Spain
Spa for mum, swimming pools, golf course, tennis courts, 15 mins to Murcia airport, 10 mins to San Javier beach

Supermarket on site that delivers to the house if you want, restaraunts, creche, medical centre

Oh...and it's only £250 a week!!!

Beetroot Tue 26-Aug-08 13:29:50

Go to Greece.

I know a wonderful hotel in the mountains. with pool and home cooked food
views like you have never seen
wonderful atmosphere
babysitting

moondog Tue 26-Aug-08 16:00:16

Puffling, amon holiday but dh here f/t for next four years. I flit back and forth.

Would deffo consider coming if I were you.It's wonderful! I'm leaving in 2 days with allmy Christmas shopping and tonnes of new clothes.

<shallow>

Kammy Tue 26-Aug-08 18:23:17

We have just come back from Slovenia and I can't rate it highly enough. We camped, site well organised with plenty of activities for 6 and 4 yo boys. Swimming in beautiful clean lakes, mountains, every outdoor activity you could think of, friendly people, great food.

Phew. I know you can rent cottages, have a look at the Slovenia national tourist board website. It seriously was one of the best holidays we have had.

moondog Tue 26-Aug-08 18:58:38

Yes have heard good things about Slovenia.
Also Latvia and Croatia.

frazzled74 Wed 27-Aug-08 08:44:43

look at direct holidays villas ,there are some very reasonable holidays to lanzarote. villas jameseos. my friend has just been and says its great

puffling Thu 28-Aug-08 21:51:36

Where in Bangladesh are you Moondog? Does it flood regularly?

captainpig Thu 28-Aug-08 22:10:11

Beetroot, can you divulge more details about place in Greece.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now