Talk

Advanced search

Heeellpppp! Need advice - sunny holiday late March, early April...Egypt? CAnaries? Need some form of childcare, Mark Warner? Not Mark Warner? Aaaaagghhhhh too much choice!!!

(12 Posts)
HarrogateMum Tue 19-Aug-08 19:09:54

DH and I and the kids (3 of them, will be 4, 4 and 2 at time of travel) need to go away last week of march, first week of April (due to my mum, part of my childcare organisation when I'm at work being away on hols then for 3 weeks...).

Thought about the Canaries but cant find anywhere that floats my boat. Then thought about going to Thailand as been before and loved it pre kids and I know they love kids but such a loooong way (just did a trip to aus to see DH's family and as you can imagine not in a hurry to repeat that plane experience).

Then thought about Egypt....but dont know anyone who has been. Mark Warner resort looks nice in the brochure and has the advantage of the childcare and some of the meals inc but hte reviews on Trip Advisor put me off, can anybody persuade me otherwise? What about other parts of Egypt, anyone been and can offer advice on good hotels with kids clubs and some kind of half board or AI option...also worry when I read about people getting gippy tummies, not sure it would bother me and DH who have stomachs of iron, but for the kids....

As you can tell, the internet is not helping by providing too much info so come on trusty Mumsnetters, help me out - Mark Warner? Egypt? Somewhere else? Aaaaaagggggghhhhh <<pours large gin>>

MLWfirsttimemum Wed 20-Aug-08 11:22:35

I went to Sharm El Sheik Egypt in early March a couple of years ago and it was lovely. This was without kids, but some people at the resort had quite young babies/children. The weather was very nice without being stifling, I can imagine it would be fine into April as well. We ate mostly at the resort and the food was fine, lots of different restaurants, a lot of it very european based and so not too spicy

Peachy Wed 20-Aug-08 11:25:56

We hadovely holiday in march (was our honeymoon), a cruise through canaries- childcare was included. That ship doesn't sail but others do; more importantly tough the weather was perfect- hot but not too hot; can recommend (als covered madeira and morocco, not convinced about morocco with toddlers though)

HarrogateMum Wed 20-Aug-08 13:53:54

oh both great ideas....MLW whihc resort was it and Peachy that sounds like a fab idea - which company did you go through?

KazzaL Wed 20-Aug-08 14:04:21

went to the markwarner resort in Hurghada (Eygpt) for Xmas 2006 - we went as a big family group over 20 of us - all ages lots of kids and everyone had a great time. Childcare seemed amazing and the water sports were incredible - DH and I actually stayed a second week as a bit of a second honeymoon before we had DS and got out of the resort and did some sightseeing. The weather was lovely even at Xmas (we were all in shorts & tees most of the time, so I would imagine by the end of march it would be gorgeous, but not too hot.

No-one had any problems with the hotel food and the choice was extensive.

have a great time wherever you decide to go

Peachy Wed 20-Aug-08 14:04:41

We went through Thompsons, but there are several that do it now I think

mumto2andnomore Wed 20-Aug-08 22:18:31

We have just booked that cruise for February with Thomsons, so anything you can tell me about it would be great.

HappypillsGalore Wed 20-Aug-08 22:21:20

we went to cyprus (3 young dc in tow) in oct last year. that worked, weather-wise.

canaries is a good idea tbh... just need to find the right villa/location.

algarve is another option, vila vita parc. they have childcare too...

Peachy Thu 21-Aug-08 14:57:44

Which ship are you on? DH knows all the liners <<geek alert>>

mumto2andnomore Thu 21-Aug-08 16:33:48

The Celebration. Really looking forward to it but bit worried about Morocco, read lots of reviews about getting harrassed/dodgy taxi drivers etc.Might stay on the ship that day. Children will be 9 and 5 hope they will enjoy it.

hf128219 Thu 21-Aug-08 16:35:50

The Four Seasons Hotel in Sharm is lovely.

Peachy Thu 21-Aug-08 20:44:09

I wouldn't worry too much- will post more tomorrow (DH just about to leave for work) but they run trps ut that are supervised, first day in Morocco (Agadir) we took omne of those, second day we tok a tax which was actually fab- we ended up in the chaps local where he bought us a pint LOL- but with kds I'd probably stick to the organsied excursions: book excursions n the very first opportunity on ship- they sell out. There were a few scenes as we pulled into dock but the police were there sorting it. I think what we saw was actually arther sanittised (to put it mildly). The trips would be great for kids- there were ones to see snake charmers: not good for me (I spent an hour in a corner waitng for dh to rescue me today when I found a tpy snake cleaning ds1's bedrrom- I am really that phobic LOL blush) but my kids certainly (I have boys 8, 7, 5, 4 months) would love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now