Talk

Advanced search

City break with two toddlers.. Lisbon or Oporto? Or am I mad?

(5 Posts)
Luxmum Wed 13-Aug-08 13:49:18

Hello, my mum wants to bring the whole family to either Lisbon or Oporto for a weekend city break for her 60th next year. Nice enough were it not for the fact that I have two small boys, 1 and 3, who I would imagine will be completely bored on a city break, or do Lisbon or Oporto have much to offer families? Any reccomendations?

Quattrocento Wed 13-Aug-08 14:04:11

Do you know I ended up in both those cities accidentally and had a whale of a time in both. Oporto was the most surprisingly nice city, river lovely. Was sans infants though so not sure whether the trips port-tasting will necessarily be on the agenda.

MrsBergerac Sat 23-Aug-08 20:59:01

I have been to Lisbon and loved it. My husband has been to Oporto a few times for work and was shocked at how much it has changed over the last 8 years. There is apparently a fair amount of crime and the traffic is horrendous. Both cities are quite hilly. Personally I think these destinations are not ideal for taking two toddlers to.

Anna8888 Sat 23-Aug-08 21:07:17

Lisbon - or actually Estoril, the Hotel Palacio. They do great rates if you ring them direct and negotiate, it is perfect for children (lovely garden and pool) and for older people. Beach nearby.

slim22 Sat 23-Aug-08 21:21:59

never been to oporto.

Lisbon is lovely.Lots of garden squares and long walkway along the sea with lots of nice open airy modern fish eateries.

Nice beach 15mn away at cascais for big family lunch and play in the sand.

Must visit Sintra and old palaces/gardens on the hills around lisbonantastic posh sunday lunch at the tivoli palacio de seeais. Its a hotel in a palace with beautiful gardens.
Atreat for a birthday celebration.

Going out with kids not a problem. You'll see many families out with kids and grand parents.

For both cascais an sintra, you can travel by train. Very good and just about 15-20mn. Alternatively a van for the whole group would be cheaper. I'm sure the hotel can arrange that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now