Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know Liscia di Vacca, Sardinia

(8 Posts)
bellavita Tue 12-Aug-08 14:23:52

We are looking at our holiday for next year and wondered if anyone knew this area? We have been to Florida the last 3 years so we now want a more relaxing holiday.

Will we need a car? Are there inexpensive little places to eat around the area which we can get to without having to use a car?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brangelina Tue 12-Aug-08 14:32:34

I don't know the place specifically but ime you do need a car in Sardinia, not least because there are practically no trains and public transport is a bit here and there. I went once without a car and we were stuck in our isolated holiday village and going out of our minds with boredom. Even getting to the nearest town was a nightmare.

However ,it does depend on whether you're quite happy staying in one place or would prefer to explore. I presume Liscia di Vacca is a town in itself and not a holiday village? If so, you'll probably be OK with finding places to eat out locally, but if it's tiny you may get bored. How long will you be going for?

Brangelina Tue 12-Aug-08 14:40:38

I've just seen, it's near Porto Cervo. Very nice but quite pricey, depending on the time of year. If you had a car you could go and visit places like La Maddalena, but there might be a boat trip direct from the port. There's also l'isola dei Gabbiani a bit further north, plus other less frequented beaches that are worth a visit. Maybe keep the option of getting a car for the odd day?

IIRC there is a bus service that does Porto Cervo/Arzachena to Palau etc., but it is quite infrequent.

bellavita Tue 12-Aug-08 14:44:46

It will be two weeks. We have a timeshare or as they like to call it these days "vacation ownership" and our actual home resort is Florida.

We do rent a car when over there and I do the driving but I know it will be poles apart driving in the US and in Italy.

The place I was looking at was Residence Liscia di Vacca, the address says Casella Postale 14, Liscia di Vacca, Porto Cervo.

A relaxing holiday is what we are looking for but we do not want to be stuck with eating in expensive restaurants. Ideally we would like good simple food at reasonable prices.

Brangelina Tue 12-Aug-08 15:50:04

There'll be lots of trattorie and pizzerie, the latter being the cheap restaurant option in Italy. Go to the less exclusive towns like Palau or Arzachena and you should find something quite easily. Avoid anything overtly touristy or too snazzy/tarted up (eg. Flavio Briatore's Millionaire clubgrin) and avoid Porto Cervo itself like the plague. For food shopping if you self cater there's a large shopping centre with a big supermarket on the road to Olbia if you want to avoid overpriced resort shops. Olbia has also got a few places to eat out and more choice, being a larger town.

Eating out in Italy is loads cheaper than in the UK in general though, so you may find it quite cheap anyway. I'm no longer used to London prices so see things at a different level.

bellavita Tue 12-Aug-08 15:54:51

Many thanks Brangelina. DH can't believe that we only came back from our hols on Sat and I am already looking at 2009 - but after 21 years of marriage he should know better grin

witchandchips Tue 12-Aug-08 15:56:38

Another cheap option if the weather is nice in the evening is to go to one of the many take away places they have in the squares. . You can sit down on a wall + eat and watch the world go by
You can get yummy pizza by the slice, various anti pasti type stuff + even horse steak in a bun if you are feeling adventurous

bellavita Tue 12-Aug-08 16:09:45

That sounds fab witchandchips.

I didn't mean to sound stingy about money, but I just did not want to find ourselves in an extortionate place and worry about spending money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now