Talk

Advanced search

Holiday to Germany or France or Holland?

(22 Posts)
surprise Mon 11-Aug-08 15:18:57

Having just come back from a lovely 2 weeks in the Austrian Alps, we've decided that we'd like to go to central europe again next year. It's hot, but not too hot and the drive won't be too long (well, not as long as Austria was!).

Basically would like somewhere within a 6 hour drive from Calais, either a smart camp site or cottage with a pool. Any suggestions welcome!

If anyone wants any more info about Austria I'd be quite happy to tell you more about stuff to do. A very good place to go with children imo.

quinne Mon 11-Aug-08 17:57:07

please tell me about austria! We are going there (probably near salzburg) in three weeks time with our two sons (ages 4 & 6). We are driving from Croatia, so not as far as you (only 8 hours) but I'd love to know what the must do's are when we get there.

How warm was it in July? I know September will be colder - and I'll be glad for it as its been a steady 33C for months now - but will we need jeans or shorts?

Is it all child friendly? Do the people in the tourist places speak english generally?

catweazle Mon 11-Aug-08 18:32:41

We've been to Center Parks in Holland twice. They are 1/3 of the price of UK CPs and you can drive there in about 4 hours.

We stayed at De Eemhof last year- up by Amsterdam, and Het Heijerbos this year, right over near the German border.

QueenMeabhOfConnaught Mon 11-Aug-08 19:00:29

We stayed at a Landal Green Park last year in Holland and loved it. The Dutch are great (and all speak English!).

Leslaki Mon 11-Aug-08 19:42:01

Check out Duinrell in Holland - it's fantastic!!!

surprise Wed 13-Aug-08 15:27:06

Quinne - we were in Kaprun, is that anywhere near where you're going? Things to do would be a rodelbahn (alpine slide) which runs for over a mile down the mountain (there are several of these dotted around I think). Also, a trip to the top of the Grossglockner mountain, where you can ski/sledge etc. Swimming lakes (badensee)- we went to one in Zell am See and also in Nidernsill. Probably best to google all these for opening times etc. Let me know if you want any more suggestions! it was very hot there (sometimes 33 degrees), but obviously much colder higher up the mountains. Everyone in the tourist areas spoke English, but probably best to take a German phrase book just in case.

christywhisty Thu 14-Aug-08 03:22:31

Second Duinrell it's a lovely family holiday, also any of the Centerparcs in Holland, they are much better value than the uk ones. Talking to the DC's today their favourite was Het Heijebos, also been to De Huttenheugte, Het Meerdal and Erpeheide in Belgium.

quinne Thu 14-Aug-08 15:51:32

Thanks surprise. We haven't booked yet but we were thinking of Bad Gastein for at least half the holiday.

sophy Thu 14-Aug-08 20:05:24

We are off to austria tomorrow. We go every year.
We do mountain hiking, long lunches in mountains, swimming in lakes and water parks, rodelbahns (expensive), trips to castles.

sophy Thu 14-Aug-08 20:06:45

Also to add Surprise was lucky with weather, it can be awful, particularly in August. One year I had to go and buy fleeces for everyone.

quinne Sun 24-Aug-08 22:47:36

Hi Surpise, we are now booked for Kaprun. I have been searching the net for things to do and I see your list above but if you can sugegst any do's and don'ts then I'd love to hear them. We are going with our two DSs (age 6 & 4). Did you consider hiring a car and going over to the chitty chitty bang bang castle in Germany?

Chocolateteapot Mon 25-Aug-08 09:17:22

My suggestion is to look at farm holidays in Germany . We are going to one next year which has loads of things such as indoor pool, horse riding, playgrounds, go karts and lots more. It is 400 euros for a 2 bed flat , a week in August. There's no point me posting a link as it has been booked up for 2009 for over 18 months but I'm sure there are similar ones available.

Have also booked 6 nights at Duinrell next Easter through Eurocamp the other day which has cost £182, not including travel which I am hoping to do through Eurotunnel with Tesco clubcard vouchers.

Both weeks with travel are going to come to the same amount as the one week in Normandy we have had this year , less if I can sort the clubcard vouchers, so I am feeling very pleased with myself !

SubRosa Mon 25-Aug-08 19:34:39

Sorry for hijacking, but I would definitely recommend a visit to Neuschwanstein (the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang castle). If you go there though, you have to buy your tickets down in the town, you can't buy them at the castle. The tours were quite short the last time I went, probably about 30 mins.

surprise Mon 25-Aug-08 23:47:21

Hi again - didn't do the CC Bang Bang castle, but wish we had!

We visited the eisriesenwelt (ice cave), but it's quite a hike to the top of the mountain and then lots and lots of steps inside, maybe too much for a 4 y o? Also paddled in the river at the bottom of the Sigmund Thun Klamm, which is the coldest water I've ever stuck my feet in!! Good play area there. Be aware that all the shops are closed from 6 pm on sat night until mon morning(we got caught out and had no nice food for breakfast on sunday, which was dd's birthday sad).
Also, at Niedernsill swimming lake there is a crazy golf course, tennis courts and play area. Seems so long ago that we were there now, and it's only a couple of weeks. If you think of any more questions, then fire away.

asicsgirl Tue 26-Aug-08 13:31:46

hi sorry for hijack - we want to go self-catering in holland next year, and do lots of cycling with the dcs. anyone recommend sites for booking houses? would prefer not to be in a city. cheers!

lilolilmanchester Tue 26-Aug-08 18:16:20

We've had holidays in Holland (once with Gran Dorado in Port Zeelande, once with Landal Green Park in Vaals), Vielsalm in Belgium (Sunparks), Black Forest Germany (Eurocamp) and lots in France - Brittany/Loire/Vendee (usually Eurocamp/Keycamp).

Roughly where are you travelling from? We did the overnight ferry from Hull last year which really cut down on the driving for us (1 1/2 hours to Hull vs long drive down south). We use the tunnel when it makes sense as it's a lot quicker than the ferry and you can drive a long way in the time it even takes to get on/off ferry let alone the crossing time.

quinne Tue 26-Aug-08 19:56:06

Is it my imagination or is center parcs in holland and Germany a lot cheaper than in England?

quinne Tue 26-Aug-08 19:56:23

Is it my imagination or is center parcs in holland and Germany a lot cheaper than in England?

fortyplus Tue 26-Aug-08 20:58:19

LOADS cheaper - I was checking the website today for Oct half term - UK about £970 for 4 of us, Holland 399 Euros for 8. You have to add on cross channel travel - Eurotunnel just over £200 return per car

annasmami Fri 17-Oct-08 14:05:40

Yes, prices for hotels and holidays are generally cheaper outside of England smile.

We've been to several Kinderhotels in Austria, both summer and winter, and have always had a fantastic time. The quality of food, the spa, the rooms and of course the childcare is excellent and is really good value for money (certainly compared to similar hotels in the UK like the luxury family hotels!)

If you can get cheap flights to Salzburg (Ryanair) or to Munich (Easyjet, BA, LH), it works out cheapest if you book directly with the hotel.

We sometimes even book holidays to the Spain or the Canary Islands via a German tour operator as the prices are (much) lower than booked in the UK.

ZZZen Fri 17-Oct-08 14:08:18

I would go to Holland but book over a Dutch website, it will be cheaper.

debinaustria Tue 21-Oct-08 12:57:49

Another vote for Austria here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: